Sign in to follow this  
Joost

Waterpump replacement E46

Hi there,

I've just purchased a 328i- so far drives well after getting new rotors and pads put on all 4 corners! Next is the waterpump. From reading on these forums it sounds like waterpump failure is very common as the kays get higher due to the plastic impellor breaking on the waterpump. Should the waterpump be replaced with another plastic one or should I go for one with a bronze impellor as some other sites have mentioned? The radiator and thermostat have been already replaced by the previous owner so only the waterpump left to do.

Looking forward to you replies

Imo best to get one with the composite impeller (or metallic). Not sure if the e46's use the same waterpump, but for e39s BMW moved from plastic to composite ones, which don't break as easy. I did a waterpump replacement on the e39 not too long ago (just some preventive maintenance) - it already had a composite impeller in it, but I replaced with a waterpump that has a metal impeller. Don't see any reason to get a plastic one again.

Did the one in my 328i with a plastic one. There good for 100,000km so not really much to worry about. Also do thermostat and change the housing to an alloy one if it's not already as the plastic will crack putting the thermostat in. This was in a e36 but should be the same I'd say.

On an E46 your bigger problems are the plastic cooling connectors. if they are the original 10 year old ones, worth changing. Last E46 i worked on didnt have overheating issues but the person wanted the cooling bits swapped, as i was taking it apart the plastic literally crumbled in my hands. not good

Edited by _Ethrty-Andy_

On an E46 your bigger problems are the plastic cooling connectors. if they are the original 10 year old ones, worth changing. Last E46 i worked on didnt have overheating issues but the person wanted the cooling bits swapped, as i was taking it apart the plastic literally crumbled in my hands. not good

Should I replace all the hoses then?

If your e46 is a 328 then it can be no later than 2000 so unless they have already been changed at 13yrs old they have done well. At a guess it would cost about $200 to replace the radiator and heater hoses cheep at half the price compared to the cost of an exchange motor should the worse happen.

Thanks- it is a 2000 328i- looks like the first owner got a lot of the work done. Radiator has been replaced due to leaking and also a new expansion tank has been added. Waterpump looks old

If you can would have a chat to the prevoius owner and see if he can give you an idea what and when things have been replaced otherwise a big stab in the dark. This is the down side of not knowing what has been done to the vehicle no receipts, sevice book etc.Or you just say bugger it and replace all the hoses, waterpump, thermostat and any thing else that looks if ee. A pain in the ass I know but then you have piece of mind at least that you have done all you can to reduce the chance of a failure.