Sign in to follow this  
gjm

Swirl flap replacement, etc (not a how to!)

Where in NZ should I go for parts like the swirl flap blanking plates, and replacement breathers (vortex breather)?

Available via eBay, of course, but it'd be nice to know where to get the parts should I need them in a hurry.

Ta.

When I looked for my 330d I couldn't find them anywhere in NZ, so I ordered them from the UK, postage was not a lot as they are small and light-weight. Only took a few days to get here, so not exactly a long wait!

Piece of piss to fit.

Thanks Jon.

I found someone in Dublin (Ireland) who is selling the 22mm versions, which I anticipate I'll need, complete with all gaskets and so on for about the equivalent of NZ$75 inc 'International Priority Shipping'.

The 'vortex' engine breather - similar source?

When I did mine there was no hard and fast rule to work out what size blanks you needed to use, so had the whip the inlet off, measure the holes, then put it back on while I waited for them to arrive and then take it off again. I think there is now something you can look for on the inlet (like an extra sensor or something...) that tells you without having to take it off.

I got mine from an outfit in Essex - Bimmer Performance Tuning or something, that did a lot of the early development on the blanks and seemed to know their stuff, price was about the same as you have.

Didn't do the breather I must admit, might do it one day.. I hear it makes a big difference to the performance. Pretty sure they had them on their website as well.

Since posting, I've done some more reading and there's a suggestion that buying a replacement breather from a BMW dealer will achieve the same end - there's been a redesign at some point.

I don't know enough to be able to say. I will do, eventually.

Almost a concern is having found blanking plates for the EGR as fitted to a M47TUD20. Oh well. It's early days. :)

I've been going through old invoices (some people keep them!) and have found one from 2010 where the inlet manifold was removed in order to access the glowplugs (which were replaced). However, in the job notes it reads "Cylinder 4 flap missing." :huh::o It goes on to say "Removed remaining flaps from manifold."

No mention of whether the flaps were the later plastic ones, or metal, or whether the actuating rod was also removed. I actually have invoices going back to time in the UK, and there's no mention anywhere of inlet manifold replacement, something I gather BMW did as a recall.

I'll see if I have time this evening to pull the plastic covers and try to find a part number on the manifold. It's probably underneath in which case I may be unlucky!

"Cylinder 4 flap missing."

Wonder if it did any damage to the alimentary canal? Any other receipts for having the head off?

Wonder if it did any damage to the alimentary canal? Any other receipts for having the head off?

Nope... No other receipts for that sort of work, or indeed any significant dismantling or replacement of anything. :unsure:

I'm not sure I want to take it apart and check!

Yeah anything except fuel & air going in there makes for bad jujus.... And then theres the turbo on the other side. You'd have to be buying a lotto ticket if there was no damage at all.

It was well over 2 years ago, quite possibly more than 3. If it's still running now, and returning 4.5l/100km (the computer suggests over 64mpg, but may be a little optimistic), I'm guessing whatever happened wasn't terminal. Or it was fixed, and I don't have the receipts for the work. I may try giving the workshop a call but whether they'll remember after all this time is questionable.

Ho hum. Frankly I'm amazed at the receipts I do have. They go back to sometime before the car left the UK.

There was never a recall for any swirl flap or inlet manifold issues on these Turbo Diesels, just quite a few cars that were repaired - some out of warranty with a substantial "good will" payment from BMW. And there is not even an official chageover date to the later design of flap.

Interesting comment on the job sheet that the flap was missing, I can only think it means the swirl flap. Some did get stuck on the way in (lucky) - others went through and caused havoc.

Would still be worth pulling the inlet manifold off, just to see what has been done.. for peace of mind and safety's sake.

I'd hoped to try sourcing manifold gaskets today, but it was not to be - far too busy. I'l try again tomorrow.

Don't really fancy pulling the inlet manifold and then finding the gaskets are torn or otherwise damaged!