Sign in to follow this  
alaza

Locking Nut Problem

So recently brought a car, and found out it had these cheap nasty china made locking nuts, so i used the locking nut key, after doing two bolts, the key thread is stripped. :(

was wondering if anyone got a key for it? just trying my luck

1u0a.jpg

ALL sorted by using a 20mm socket bashed into the bolts and took it out

Ahh good, was gonna give ya some suggestions otherwise. Nice that a bit of brute force & 'pass me a bigger hammer' has worked - you might want to chuck those cheapies over your shoulder now & get some decent ones....... ;):)

Just a quick thread hijack. I have a similar problem.

I bought a 7 series on the weekend and have gone to take a wheel off to sort a squeeky brake to find that it has lock nuts but I have no key.

I dont really want to brake my socket set or make the nut harder to remove.

Is doing that way the best/easiest method?

If you have AA or similar cover, it's worth giving them a call.

If not, it is possible to buy 'keys' for locking nuts, but it'll probably be cheaper to buy another suitably-sized socket.

Assuming they BMW locknuts and you want to keep them a new key should be around mid $20 at a dealer.

I'm not too fussed on keeping them. I just want to sort the squeel out as its driving me nuts.

I do have roadside assistance with state. Is it worth ringing them?

The last key i got from team mcmillan was around $16 from memory. Just take the car into the parts guys & they will have a full set to try one at a time.

Just a quick thread hijack. I have a similar problem.

I bought a 7 series on the weekend and have gone to take a wheel off to sort a squeeky brake to find that it has lock nuts but I have no key.

I dont really want to brake my socket set or make the nut harder to remove.

Is doing that way the best/easiest method?

Chuck up a pic of the offending item maybe?? Theres various ways to remove them if the correct nut is not available - you've just got to find the easiest solution, which will depend on what type of rims / what type of lock nut it is, & how much clearance you've got.......

Have you rang previous owner re lock key?? Have you had a REALLY good look, three times, all around the car for the lock key, in both logical & illogical places........??? Like, the toolkit, spare wheel well, glove box, consoul, under seats, etc etc........stashed in first aid kit if its got one, is another likely place....... ;)

Yeah stripped the car looking.

I might take it into BMW tomorrow. They are only up the road.

Hopefully they can sort it.

If I'm not mistaken, there are a hundred and something "bmw" lock nuts and keys. Last time I went into team mc millan they told me it's gonna be ages to find the right one. And I was a bit rushed so I left it for another day. Then I tried my lock key from another bmw I had at the time and it worked.. Now what are the chances of having two cars both with the same locknut/key?! Haha..

I think you may be mistaken.

When I told the service guy I needed one I only said it was a 7 series.

He bought out a tray with maybe 30 keys. Pulled out the one labeled E38 and it fitted perfectly.

He double checked it wasn't one that looked similar but that was too loose.

So technically, its not really that hard for the Midnight spares boyz to be grabbing a set of rims off a 7 series then ae :unsure::rolleyes:

Heres a wee hint - if you like the rims your car has got on it, probably be a great idea to get some good quality aftermarket lock nuts for it - not BMW ones........ ;):)

• Like 1