Sign in to follow this  
Tidy30

BMWCON and another PFL E30 Cab!

These things sure are seasonal! Another 2 E30 cabrio's spotted on trademe this evening!

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/bmw/325i/auction-666534498.htm

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/bmw/325i/auction-666319746.htm

Anyone able to shed some light on these guys? I've been on the lookout for another one of these for another good friend of mine.

They're certainly priced highly, but they're worth what people will pay for them I guess. I got mine for a fair bit less than these numbers, but have spent a similar amount in restoration so far.

The Hellrot is by far the better looker in my books. Houndstooth + manual = perfect cruiser! 10k is probably pretty reasonable too

The Calypso is certainly nice, but the monogramming on the seats ruins it for me :(

The Hellrot is by far the better looker in my books. Houndstooth + manual = perfect cruiser! 10k is probably pretty reasonable too

The Calypso is certainly nice, but the monogramming on the seats ruins it for me :(

I was thinking the same thing.

If it was my money, it would be the Hellrot

still not facelifts though.

(i know its personal preferences etc etc)

Ditto my thoughts, & its done lots less kms. Calypso roof colour looks weird too IMO.......That Hellrot car is sweeeeeeet :):wub:

"BMWCON" has had lots of money spent on it's restoration, but it hasn't been restored to a factory standard - which puts me off it, if you could live with that interior (try sitting on those seats on a sunny day with the roof down) and auto then maybe a better long term bet. I would say over priced as well, even if it has has $30k thrown at it.

If it was me then I would go for the Hellrot for a big inspection, and if it's solid then buy it and chuck a set of wheels and slight drop at it. Only negatives that I can see are the weird rear spoiler (never seen one like that, but really wtf??) and no ABS - neither of which are deal breakers, possibly negotiating points. Colour and interior combination is very nice (check how well the red paint has lasted - tends to fade badly), rear head rests are a plus, and the half leather re-trim looks good with the houndstooth.

Convertibles are very much a "seasonal" vehicle sale, tend to be put up for sale when the weather gets good at the start of summer to get a better price so you will probably see a few more coming onto TradeMe now.

"BMWCON" has had lots of money spent on it's restoration, but it hasn't been restored to a factory standard - which puts me off it, if you could live with that interior (try sitting on those seats on a sunny day with the roof down) and auto then maybe a better long term bet. I would say over priced as well, even if it has has $30k thrown at it.

If it was me then I would go for the Hellrot for a big inspection, and if it's solid then buy it and chuck a set of wheels and slight drop at it. Only negatives that I can see are the weird rear spoiler (never seen one like that, but really wtf??) and no ABS - neither of which are deal breakers, possibly negotiating points. Colour and interior combination is very nice (check how well the red paint has lasted - tends to fade badly), rear head rests are a plus, and the half leather re-trim looks good with the houndstooth.

Convertibles are very much a "seasonal" vehicle sale, tend to be put up for sale when the weather gets good at the start of summer to get a better price so you will probably see a few more coming onto TradeMe now.

Not knowing very much about E30s I didn't want to make the roof comment, but I did think it looked unusually crass. The seat trim is just shite. There. I said it.

ABS on a 1986 build year would be hit and miss at best I'd think. Personally I'd leave it 100% standard, I have a suspicion 'verts will start to achieve near - M3 prices sooner rather than later. Justifiably so too, one of the VERY few cars that pulls off coupe, sedan and topless.

Having said that, another chop-top with 17" Alpinas would make a welcome sight :)

still not facelifts though.

(i know its personal preferences etc etc)

I knew that was coming Andy! ha, I think the facelift cabs looks amazing, but the pfl ones look classy in a different way. The obviously look a lot more dated, but I think that kind of charm sits well with the overall aesthetics of the car just as well. They are a bit rarer, and spare bumpers etc are a lot more common. One day I will achieve my dream of finding a space pfl chrome rear bumper to replace mine, which has started to pit slightly. It seems through some slight wiki'ing cabrio rear chrome bumpers are unique only to the cabs due to length. Since tourings never came out in pfl, the pool of parts in which ti draw from for longer rear'ed E30's is halved.

Did many pfl E30's come with ABS? Mine is lacking in it as well. Only consciously acknowledged/realised what a relative deathtrap I was driving the other day when I thought about how I was only 8" off the ground sitting on essentially a bendy flat metal plate with soft brakes, no airbags, ABS or roof!

The houndstooth is very nice indeed. Almost, almost nicer than my blue tartan/black leather. It seems quite a few of these E30's have the half leather option, amateur-me is starting to think it may possibly have been in fact a factory option?

Not knowing very much about E30s I didn't want to make the roof comment, but I did think it looked unusually crass. The seat trim is just shite. There. I said it.

I have a feeling the red canvas is the standard colour palate option for the Hellrot. It has the same hue and tone as mine, relatively speaking, but red instead of blue if you know what I mean. I imagine it may be a little susceptible to UV damage and sun-fade? It certainly has that look to it...

It seems through some slight wiki'ing cabrio rear chrome bumpers are unique only to the cabs due to length.

I really doubt that, the rear overhang is the same in both sedan coupe and vert. But you might be right?? where did you read that?

and my car still has the original roof which is black even though the car is red. Actually, if the hood was red i would have walked away I'm sure

Edited by _Ethrty-Andy_

My two cents as a new kid here? I'd still pick BMWCON, I'm a big fan of that colour on the drop tops. You'd have to do away with the god awful roof though (can you dye those suckers?). Then I'd be wanting to pick up those BBS wheels our friend crazyarab is selling and settle the car down on those. Sure, you'd have to throw a little more money at it to get a manual conversion but in the mean time you'd have a lovely little cruiser. Anyone know how much kidneys are going for on the market?