Sign in to follow this  
gjm

New i8

1568563272973122682.jpg

The 1,490 kg (3,284 lbs) plug-in hybrid adopts a 2+2 configuration and boasts a carbon fiber reinforced plastic passenger cell. It borrows many styling cues from the concept, slightly toned down, and will be fitted with LED headlights as standard; laser ones are optionally available. The concept had see-through doors which aren't on theproduction model, but they do still open upwards.

Power is from a plug-in hybrid system consisting of a 1.5-liter, 3-cylinder petrol TwinPower Turbo engine and an electric motor. The conventional engine outputs 231 HP (170 kW) and 236 lb-ft (320 Nm), and sends power to the rear wheels via a 6-speed automatic transmission. The electric motor provides 131 HP (96 kW) transferred to the front wheels via a two-stage automatic gearbox. The electric motor receives its energy from a high-voltage lithium-ion battery with a 5 kWh capacity.

Consequently, the i8 has a combined output of 362 HP (266 kW) and 420 lb-ft (570 Nm) of torque, enough for a 0-62 mph (0-100 km/h) in 4.4 seconds. Despite this, it remains very economical: 2.5 liters / 100 km (94 mpg US or 113 mpg UK).

It can be driven on electric power for up to 22 miles (35 km) during which it can hit a top speed of 75 mph (120 km/h). Combined range of the production BMW i8 is more than 310 miles (500 km).

20-inch alloys are standard but lightweight carbon wheels are an option. Other optional equipment available includes rear view camera, high beam assistant, speed limit info with No Passing Info display, Surround View, Head-Up Display, and Collision Warning with pedestrian recognition.

cant wait to see one in the flesh.