Sign in to follow this  
charles28

Which E39 Model should I buy?

Funny ae, as Alias had a 540, sold it, brought that ACS 528, & yea, now hankers for the V8 again..........the 540's were called a German 4 door super car for a reason...... ;) Even if you don't rev it over 2k, they're still fairly quick. Drop into S on the trans, & sink the jandle properly, & they really boogie, for what they are......

But look how the e39 530 outperforms the e34 535. Stands to reason.Depends what you want. I did the fatal `Go for a drive on a Sunday and have car salesmen on...`routine a few months ago and almost ended up with a 540 an hour later. One has to be careful............

Funny ae, as Alias had a 540, sold it, brought that ACS 528, & yea, now hankers for the V8 again..........the 540's were called a German 4 door super car for a reason...... ;) Even if you don't rev it over 2k, they're still fairly quick. Drop into S on the trans, & sink the jandle properly, & they really boogie, for what they are......

The benefits BMW drivers enjoy arent all cancelled out by the type or size of the engine.The 120d has excellent balance steering and brakes.Just like most BMWs (relative to their peers)

• Like 1

Exactly...I just can`t imagine not having one and i`ve had 4. I spend money on them and love them. But I can`t see myself getting an e60 so I`m a bit stuck. Hence the 928 fetish.

I am going through the exact same dilemma and has this discussion just this afternoon with Ross @ BM workshop in Botany. I have a facelift 03 530i and LOVE IT! But have been considering a 540i M for a while now as I really want a V8. I have not had a situation yet where the 530i has not had enough power and it's incredibly nice to drive. From what I understand the 540i should

Only be an option of you simply want a V8 otherwise all things considered the 530 M is the way to go. Btw, my parents had a 528i new in 07 and the difference is HUGE between 528 and 530i. The Vanos on the 530 is impressive especially once you give yourself some time to understand how to use it. You can't just plant your boot and expect it to react. But that's why they are such a fun car to drive!! If you want to try a 530i. Give me a yell. I am more than happy to take you for a spin. I'm in Auck btw.

• Like 1

But look how the e39 530 outperforms the e34 535. Stands to reason.Depends what you want. I did the fatal `Go for a drive on a Sunday and have car salesmen on...`routine a few months ago and almost ended up with a 540 an hour later. One has to be careful............

and so it should.The 535 is an old lump .But the benefit of displacement(or turbo) is TORQUE.Thats why the 540 is superior to the 530.,and why the 530 is superior to the 528,and why the 535 is superior to the 525.HP only tells part of the story

and so it should.The 535 is an old lump .But the benefit of displacement(or turbo) is TORQUE.Thats why the 540 is superior to the 530.,and why the 530 is superior to the 528,and why the 535 is superior to the 525.HP only tells part of the story

Exactly. ;) and, theres only one thing better than a 540, & that's a diesel................... :D

I understand the concept of `torque`, however I don`t believe the e34 535 was described as an `old lump` when it debuted in the late 1980`s. The whole point is engine development and the 530 must be the best allrounder in the e39 range.

I must say, I am partial to the BMW V8. Its a lovely piece of kit that makes me smile on the inside. Every time.

There is another in my future sometime, but I'd really like it to be a keeper (and Manual) so, not yet.

The 528 is a great car, with enough power for most people.... however for the last 5 years or so, i've been driving 200kw+ jap turbos, and 200kw+ Bmw V8's - So whilst i find the 528 nicely balanced, with nice steering feel; It really is just a bit lacking when you stick your knee up it.

• Like 1

Only real downside to the M30 in the 535i is fuel economy, but for a engine the came out in the early 80's and based off an even older design it still holds up very well against the far newer 528i and 530i 3L engines power wise while imo being more reliable and cheaper to replace\fix.

Really comes down to 530i or 540i of which both have their advantages, but at end of the day as much as i like E39's i still prefer my E34, so If anyone's in the market for a 540i manual i will be selling mine shortly.

Thanks for all the feedback guys, I might drive both and go from there.

928 s4 nice. supercar at used kia prices

Thanks for all the feedback guys, I might drive both and go from there.

Brilliant read in here ae................ ;):) Don't forget to give us your feedback later on on what ya think of the 2 variants ............???

Of course, theres also that rattley sack of $hit manual diesel hearse thing to also try ae..................... :rolleyes:;):lol::lol::lol:

Thanks for the thread.......... :) been interesting, as always.......

I understand the concept of `torque`, however I don`t believe the e34 535 was described as an `old lump` when it debuted in the late 1980`s. The whole point is engine development and the 530 must be the best allrounder in the e39 range.

it wasnt an old lump then.But Lump may be a bit harsh.Its a beatiful engine to use,but the fuel economy is shocking.I had one for the best part of 10 years

Cheers Paul, I had mine for 8 years and Jared still has one.That motor was a 12 valve for its whole life, It must have been run from the late 70`s to the early 90`s without a tweak.

Great thread by the way everyone...

Cheers Paul, I had mine for 8 years and Jared still has one.That motor was a 12 valve for its whole life, It must have been run from the late 70`s to the early 90`s without a tweak.

Great thread by the way everyone...

even earlier than that i think,i think it started life in the 60s!

"The M30 was originally developed in the late 1960s based on the straight-4 BMW M10 engine first used in the 'Neue Klasse' BMW 1500. Several features, including a 30-degree cant to the right for a lower profile, a crossflow head design, and a chain-driven single overhead cam with rocker arm valve actuation, are common between the M10 and the M30.[2]

2500 version[edit]

The first model to use the 2478 cc version of the M30 was the E3 2500 in 1968.

Edited by kiwi535

That^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ is just way too interesting & informative for this thread................. ;):) it lost the plot ages ago........... :D:D:lol:

I didn't intend to buy this, I was looking at 530i's etc.

but it was cheap and I find it hard to resist a bargain.

Its a 2000 E39 523i with the Dual Vanos M52B25TU engine, 124,000k, 1 Owner for 7 years, was a company car (the bosses).

Its also incorrectly Registered as a 525i, but have seen this many times, especially when the model designation badge is removed as a factory option.

Its a Jap Import, but it seems to have a proper Steptronic Gearbox instead of a Jatco.

Its got a mint as interior, (not leather) and the cd-changer still works 100% fine.

It seems to drive a lot nicer then my 1996 528i I had (that one had the Jatco gearbox).

Its got silly little 15 Inch wheels and 215/65 tyres, which makes for a comfy ride on canterbury roads.

tzq6.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

What did I pay for this car? $3500, with a new Wof and 3 Months Rego, (Service not due for another 5000k).

I plan to use this car as a daily for a while, as I am selling my E30 325i and 2005 Golf. (Now both on trademe).

I actually want an E34 540i as my toy now, so once I sell off the 2 cars I will start my search for an E34 540i.

Options List:

Data for the chassis number: WBADM42050GH80711

Model Name: 523I

Execution: Europe

Type code: DM42

E-Code: E39

Body: Limousine

Steering: right

Doors: 4

Engine: M52/TU - 2.50 l (125kW)

Drive: Rear-wheel drive

Gear: automatically

Exterior color: Orient Blue Metallic ( 317 )

Interior: Fabric Rips Diagonal / anthracite (F4AT)

Production date: 23.02.2000

Work: Dingolfing

Code Standard Equipment

S202A Steptronic Steptronic

S520A Fog lights

S853A Language version English

Code Optional Equipment

S261A Side airbags for rear passengers

S320A Deleted, model lettering

S354A Green windscreen, green shade band

S415A Sun-blind, rear

S423A Floor mats, velours

S428A Warning triangle and first aid kit

S431A Interior mirror with automatic-dip

S441A Smoker package

S459A Memory Seat adjuster, electric, with memory

S473A Armrest front

S522A Xenon Light

S534A Automatic air conditioning

S540A Cruise control

S548A Kilometer-calibrated speedometer

S602A TV On-board monitor with TV

S676A HiFi speaker system

S694A Provisions for BMW 6 CD changer

S773A Fine wood trim

L807A Japan NATIONAL VERSION JAPAN

S818A Battery master switch

S823A Hot-climate version

S845A Acoustic belt warning

S875A Infrared remote control

S925A Transport protection package

Code Standard Equipment

S555A On-board computer V with remote control

Edited by Charles32

I actually want an E34 540i as my toy now, so once I sell off the 2 cars I will start my search for an E34 540i.

If I can find the contact details or remember exactly where I went I might know where white e34 540is 6 spd lives