Sign in to follow this  
ED1RTY

Turbo E30

Hey guys anyone got links about anything to do with sticking a turbo in an e30, anything is appreciated cheers guys. B)

www.e30tech.com

do a lot of reading around their forums before asking dumb questions

there is nothing on bimmersport really.....heaps on overseas (mainly US) sits

turbo 325i is badass

Have looked on e30tech and they have an article, was quite helpful, also anyone had experiance with dinan chips? Where are they available from cost etc. Not sure weather to make a hell fast 320 or upgrade to a 325....... opinions people!!! ^_^

Upgrade to 325, and then make its hella fast and in the end would be faster than a fast 320, obviously. hah

Or you could just do a transplant 3.5L from a 535 or something I dunno , guess its only limited to your imagination and your wallet

you pre FL or FL??

if FL, i like my idea, of putting a link in and turboing the 2L, then at a later stage putting the 2.5 in and making a sh*t load of power

2.5 M20 its ok...you would be happy for a while

dont bother with usign stock engine management if turboing, so much hassle, doesnt work well and the gains to be had with aftermarket are alluring to say the least

Guest Andrew

I have done all the research - up to the point where I did the ECU and then had a change of plans.

you pre FL or FL??

if FL, i like my idea, of putting a link in and turboing the 2L, then at a later stage putting the 2.5 in and making a sh*t load of power

2.5 M20 its ok...you would be happy for a while

dont bother with usign stock engine management if turboing, so much hassle, doesnt work well and the gains to be had with aftermarket are alluring to say the least

Im pre f/l, Have driven a 325 used to be on here, evlm3, fast but i would want faster, have also spoken to brent about the 535 engine he has, need a manual box, (unless the 320 box would fit) have had a look on www.boostjunky.com some good links and ideas, some later models done aswell. If i put a 535 in with headers and a link or alike would it get as much power as a turbo 320?

With a 535i engine I would imagine it would be faster than a 320 turbo, but correct me if im wrong, but I would think it would be more top end speed rather than off the mark speed as you would have with a turbo, i dunno

535 engine is cooler IMO

Yea kinda but it would bit a buzz for people watching a beamer goin past thinkin just another beamer then waaaaaaaaa psssshhhh, a hell big waste gate with a super sequential BOV combined with the already mint sound of the inline 6..... :pimp: i dunno there are some kits availible in the US for around 6 g's with freight to NZ, all top market parts, HKS etc with some really crazy hybrid turbos

the 3.5L is a good choice. If your looking for power then it is ONE way to go. You will need custom headers anyway if puting it in an e30. Going from a man325i to a auto335i. The term Autotragic turn's into Automagic.

With the extra power you get from the extra 1L it dosent really matter that much. Esp when you want to power launch or linelock which is alot of fun. Alot more thought will have to go into diff ratios if you are running an open diff with a 3.5L and a 5spd behind it, i would consider stupid. but thats why you have a LSD put in.

I'm gong the turbo way. for now heaps of research is being done..

so far i decided on megasquirt 2 ecu, once i get that up and running (complete replacment of stock motronic ECU), then I'm planning on Holset HX35 turbo on it.

I did may calculations, and turbo route seems to be the best value in terms of HP/$$$. I'm expecting for my turbo project to cost me ~ 2-2.5k, BUT my mainfold/exhaust/charge pipes will be essentially free (or few boxes of beers... if I had to pay for it it would be another at least 2k). I'm doing most of my work myself (including custom ECU and tuning), therefore I'm expecting to spend at least good few months on the project.

What i like it turbo is you can do it in stages, as time and money allows.

I'm expecting engine to eventually stuff itself, and then I'll rebuild it with turbo internals.

Re: m30b35 and such other engine conversions... yes, it will give you speed in straight line, but your handling WILL suffer, as m20b25 is already too heavy for e30, not to mention bigger engines... and you will need custom motor/tranny mounts, other several customizations including uprated suspension on the front to handle heavier engine, custom drive shaft, exhaust, etc, etc, etc... if you can weld and have workshop then it *might* be just cheaper than putting a turbo..., but turbo will give you blow off valve, less weight and ultimately more power.

IMHO best engien conversion for e30 would be z3 2.8 motor (thats m50 2.8 with alloy block, which is lighter then m3 s14 engine, but 6 pots and more power), but thats if you want to go N/A way, as those engines will not handle boost...

Guest Andrew

M5x handles boost like a champion - if you could afford to boost one of those that would be the way.

Why the megasquirt? Isn't much cheaper than the link and the link has so much support here.

engine conversion alone will be more expensive for me, as I would have to do it professionally, since i dont have skills/tools to do that. so the cost of engine+conversion would be just too much, and that will give me some more horses, and then turbo from there.... easier would be just to buy e36 and do that... Surly, if i had m50 engine on my disposal I'd probably do it...

megasquirt, because I'm a hard out DIY, and the full kit costs much less than link (that would have to be proffesionally tubed, most likely on dyno...

megasquirt fuel/ignition maps are freely available on the net already (for stock and modded inclugin turbo e30's)... just fine tune from there... and i'll be able to get rid of my AFM !

And laslty, cos I'm after cheap horsepower for my e30, whcich translates to as few, as cheap mods, while still trying to keep it reliable...

[edited to correct spelling errors]

Edited by mops