Sign in to follow this  
low_rider

light prob

my mate has a 1985 320i manual beema and the lights arent working,they only come on when you hold down full beam,its missing the k8 relay.is it meant to be in there or wat?

would that cause the lights not to work? :o

What about if they are on highs in the permanent high position?

When they go, do all four light up or just the inside ones?

I'm trying to eliminate fired lows or low-beam circuit. Do the park lights work?

Don't know about the relay - will have a look tonight but I do know there are separate ones for low and high beam. Haynes manual shows wiring diagram, but no diagram of physical placement of relays

Right, relay 8 is for foglamps, relay 4 is dipped beam and relay 3 is high beam.

fuses 1,2 are LH and RH headlamps. Fuses 13 and 14 are LH and RH dipped headlamps.

The fact that the lights only come on when the stalk is pulled to the passing position will tell you that the power to the lights is not getting past the light switch. The passing beam function is on a separate circuit so does not go through the switch. Either you don't have any power getting to the light switch or the switch itself is **^%^&*& and power is not getting out.

The chances of both relays not working or all 4 fuses being blown are slim but it pays to check this out first just in case your mate managed to blow everything somehow.

It is possible that the problem is inside the fusebox in that the power rail is not connecting to the headlight relays. Maybe it is broken off but don't dig around in there unless you have a bit of knowledge or you could kill the whole car... :wacko: