Sign in to follow this  
0ghost0

E30 headlight swap

I have a e30 pre facelift which has a small swimming pool in a low beam headlamp.

I was wondering if facelift projector style headlamps are straight plug n play or require modification to fit. I am no auto sparky but I can solder plugs and wires.

Cheers

as far as bolting them on, yes plug and play

as far as wiring them, no not plug and play

you need to buy the later ones with plugs on them and cut the old plugs off, cut one plug and solder the new plug on before turning to the next bulb so you don't get them mixed up.

worst comes to the worst, i have some plugs here if you can only find the bulbs

Sounds good so I just would need to swap the plugs over by cutting and soldering? I heard prefacelifts have 3 wires per bulb while facelift only have 2 ? Any of this ringing true?

yes to first bit,

re three wires versus two, i can't tell you, i haven't done the retrofit personally sorry, just relaying information i have stored here in this mushy computer in my head. the facelift ones i can confirm are only two pins.

i can't think of a reason the prefacelift ones would be 3 pin though, maybe low beam and park beam are off one bulb??? in the later style there are physically two bulbs, one small blade type one for the parks, and one for the lows i think its an H3 from memory

look forward to having a look at the wiring of the factory prefacelift plugs if you don't mind

Hey mate , there is 3 going to the low beam cluster.

I assume positive and negative for main beam and 1 positive for park lamp, must earth on its housing.

High beam is 2 wires. See photos

post-5587-0-42695600-1388389399_thumb.jp

post-5587-0-27401400-1388389433_thumb.jp

post-5587-0-53747800-1388389455_thumb.jp

high beam will possibly plug straight in then, the plug is very similar if not the same as that.

the low/park will need modification as there are two seperate plugs of two. You will also need to get the headlamp side of the wiring for the park light, it is a cable that goes around the outside of the housing and up to the bulb like this

$(KGrHqRHJFEFGkKjEcpVBRqvQ)fU+Q~~60_35.J

Basically if I just cut and solder the facelift plugs to the respective low beam and high beam wiring on my pfl. And for the park, hook up + to the current single park wire and earth the other wire directly to the body. I should have no issues. However I don't see what that pic shows, is that the holder for the wedge park bulb? Because I can only see one wire. Correct me if I am wrong. Thanks mate

yeah sorry, thats just the picture i found on google. you sre correct it is the holder for the wedge bulb and has the facelift plug on the other end. when you buy lamps make sure it has this bit or its useless to you. there are two wires in it with some plastic shielding around the outside.

you could splice the new negative you will need to make into the existing negative instead which is probably how i would do it, so its like a Y connection. the positive ones are simple, but you will probably need a multi meter to figure out which wires are which. remember that the low beams only come on when the ignition is on position, i was trying to nut it out a few weeks ago why the hell my fogs werent going then i realised lol

Hey ghost. Going to attempt this conversion this weekend. Pretty sure I have a rough idea what is going on, but can you part with any pro-tips before I start? Things to watch out for?

Sorry to resurrect (or at least attempt to) an old thread, but how did you guys get on with this? I have found some mint f/l headlights and want to get them on a pfl. Semi sealed beams make a nice upgrade as well. But cant quite get the wiring any tips?