Sign in to follow this  
Kodachrome

Where to get Classic/old car valued

After 10wks at sea my 1993 850CSi will arrive here on the 10th. The import company says I need to provide:

"We have reviewed your documents and need either Purchase Document or Registered Valuation for the car from a New Zealand entity."

Problem is I dont have a Purchase invoice as I bought it from a private seller 5 years ago, receipt was hand written (and I cant find it, it was just half an A4 page). I tried AA Valuations, Redbook etc and none of them list the 850CSi.. anyone got a recommendation? Can I just hand-write another Receipt? Or recommend some "entity" who I will just pay for a piece of paper?

Need to get this sorted ASAP! :(

Usually there is an approved "pre crash valuer" that does a pre crash valuations on cars for insurance companies. I know the one in New Plymouth has his own dealership. Maybe ring your insurance company and ask who theirs is in Welington?

I would definitely send a recent UK autotrader ad for a similar year condition car and explain the problem They are quite reasonable about such things especially with classic cars.

I would definitely send a recent UK autotrader ad for a similar year condition car and explain the problem They are quite reasonable about such things especially with classic cars.

That was what I did straight away however Sneddons the importer said it wont be acceptable. I did find http://www.carvaluation.co.nz/ who will do a Valuation for $75 which they claim will be acceptable for Customs...

Where I work we tend to refer people to a guy called Mark Joblin. His expertise tends to be with older, more classic cars or somewhat modified cars, but he does have a wealth of experience so it may be worth giving him a ring or an email. 0275956087 or cccltd@hotmail.co.nz. He's Cambridge based, but he generally does valuations through detailed photos and descriptions. I've got a couple more I can put you in touch with when I get back to work tomorrow.

• Like 1

The only guy in wellington to use is Roy McGuinness from McGuinness Classics.

really nice guy, a little eccentric flavour, drives a Rover, but really knows his classic british german and american stuff.

He is actually a RMVD as well, anyone can write a price and do a valuation, but only a RMVD is truely in touch with the market.

He valued my convertible about 6 weeks ago, very happy with the result. Let him know i sent you, he used to have his last lockup/workshop etc same complex as my work

website here: http://www.mcguinnessclassics.co.nz

• Like 1

There must be a declared value from NZ Customs or the consignee. Can't you use that?

Hi kodachrome,

When I bought my 1994 850CSi last year, my insurance company needed a valuation before they would provide Classic/Vintage insurance cover.

They had no listing whatsoever for the BMW 850CSi, which as we know is a much more rare and valuable beast than the regular 850i.

So I had a friendly RMVD sign a written valuation for my car on their letterhead, including an appendix with pictures of the car.

The car's value was derived from its rarity, condition/history and recent sales prices overseas.

This valuation was acceptable to my insurance company, and should therefore satisfy your import company's requirement for a "Registered Valuation".

Look forward to seeing the car when you get her complied and registered for the road.

It is the 7th RHD 850CSi to be brought to this country, and will be one of just five road-registered examples here.

Let me know if you still want to be included in the NZ E31 Register.

All the best.

• Like 1

There must be a declared value from NZ Customs or the consignee. Can't you use that?

NZ Customs are the ones asking for the value (indirectly) though I did already state to the shipper surely customs would provide a valuation if they wanted one. Was told they will only do so if they dont think the value you give them is accurate. The Consignee/Shipper is just using whatever value I give them, which doesnt really have any standing.

Hi kodachrome,

When I bought my 1994 850CSi last year, my insurance company needed a valuation before they would provide Classic/Vintage insurance cover.

They had no listing whatsoever for the BMW 850CSi, which as we know is a much more rare and valuable beast than the regular 850i.

So I had a friendly RMVD sign a written valuation for my car on their letterhead, including an appendix with pictures of the car.

The car's value was derived from its rarity, condition/history and recent sales prices overseas.

This valuation was acceptable to my insurance company, and should therefore satisfy your import company's requirement for a "Registered Valuation".

Look forward to seeing the car when you get her complied and registered for the road.

It is the 7th RHD 850CSi to be brought to this country, and will be one of just five road-registered examples here.

Let me know if you still want to be included in the NZ E31 Register.

All the best.

Thanks Peter. The valuer I used will give me a free Insurance friendly quote when its complied so I should be able to head that problem off!

Put me on the E31 register indeed!

Will do - just PM me with your and the car's details.

Cheers