Sign in to follow this  
gjm

Sunroof delete

I wasn't sure where to put this, so thought I'd start here.

Has anyone had a sunroof 'filled in'? What sort of success did they/you have? It's probably easier to replace teh roof skin, but this is for an E28, and I've not seen one of them without a sunroof in... Well, forever.

However, if fitting a roll cage, would removing the sunroof actually be necessary?

Lo-o-ong term plan. Maybe.

IMO, no, fitting cage shouldn't nessecate sunroofy removal / fill in. I think theres more to this tho ae maybe........haha. For the road that you're on, there'll be a spec somewhere on whats acceptable probably.........

• Like 1

Nasty job... but a good thing to do. The E21 donor car for our spaceframe turbo has a sunroof and like most of the early ones (my 633 is the same) the sunroof cassette sweats under the skin. This is what causes them to rust out from the inside. The cassette itself is difficult to remove without making a mess of the remaining skin. There are a number of spot welds which need to be drilled out and then the welds at the back of the cassette which joint it to the roof rails, cut through. The sealer/adhesive between the cassette and the roof skin comes off easily enough. It's a good chunk of weight lost. We are still in two minds as to whether we wheel a steel patch and weld it in or trim the skin back to 50mm of the gutters, step the edge and make an alloy skin to bond in. If you can get a new roof skin, that would definitely be the easiest and cleanest way to go. A new E21 roof skin is probably not available now for our project. In the old days we would have just found a good donor roof and chopped it through the pillars and welded it on. Blocks under sills before cutting in both cases....

Edited by Skintkarter
  • Like 1

Thanks guys.

I wasn't considering the sunroof removal as a prerequisite for fitting a rollcage, but typically a sunroof proves a weak point in a vehicles structure. I was wondering whether there was still merit in sunroof removal following installation of a cage, given the cage would add rigidity - would removing the sunroof then be unnecessary?

However, Richard's description of the problems that can occur when a sunroof is fitted does make a compelling case for getting rid of it.

Richard - a new roof skin, without sunroof, can be had from Walloth & Nesch for about 325 euros, ex tax. See here. Sadly the same isn't true for the E28.

I think once theres a cage installed, no 'extra strenght' as such would be gained by the sunroof removal - if it goes earth, sky, earth, sky a few times & the cage doesn't do its job, then it having or not having a sunroof is fairly immaterial in the way I look at things..........

I think once theres a cage installed, no 'extra strenght' as such would be gained by the sunroof removal - if it goes earth, sky, earth, sky a few times & the cage doesn't do its job, then it having or not having a sunroof is fairly immaterial in the way I look at things..........

Aye... My idea was to make something that handles like a 4-seater go-kart, but still be comfortable to drive. No out-and-out track day weapon plans so retaining the sunroof isn't a problem, and may even be nice.

Just so long as the cartridge doesn't rot everything out!

Plenty of the E30 series cars have had sunroofs. I just drilled out the spots and the rest was very simple. I just made up some brackets to hold the panel in place and sealed her up. There was a lot of weight up there. Couldn't be a worse place for it.

Hi Graham - thanks for the lead to Walloth and Nesch. They have quite a few bits for the E21 and the roof skin at probably under $1000 is an option. Thanks for researching this for me. Richard

When I did it on my car we just drilled/grinder out the bracket (some bits it was easier to grind 99% out and leave the rest), then made up a new panel. A tack weld every few cms with plenty of time for the roof to cool between (to prevent warping) and then some nutech fiberglass reinforced filler to smooth it off. Ended up impossible to tell it had been done from the outside!

Hi Graham - thanks for the lead to Walloth and Nesch. They have quite a few bits for the E21 and the roof skin at probably under $1000 is an option. Thanks for researching this for me. Richard

No worries. I used W&N several times while in the UK, but for 'normal' parts rather than tuning anything - they were often cheaper than local suppliers for 2002 and E31 parts.

When I did it on my car we just drilled/grinder out the bracket (some bits it was easier to grind 99% out and leave the rest), then made up a new panel. A tack weld every few cms with plenty of time for the roof to cool between (to prevent warping) and then some nutech fiberglass reinforced filler to smooth it off. Ended up impossible to tell it had been done from the outside!

I tried this once, but it didn't work out quite so well! Still bodywork is more akin to art, and certainly not an artisit!