Sign in to follow this  
Palazzo

TV connection woes

Hopefully, someone on here can help with this. Assuming they can understand my explanation.

On the basis that I got a new, bigger tv, I've given my mother and stepfather our 2 year old Samsung led. Now the fun starts.

The tv has 3 x HDMI in, including a DVI in, plus 1 component in and a digital optical in.

They have a free view box which has 1 RCA (r/w/y) out and 2 Scart outs, plus an RS232 plug.

They have a DVD player which has component video out and S video out.

My plan was connect the tv to the existing aerial cable for the free view (using the free view built into the tv) and use the component in for the DVD.

There is an RF in cable, a LNB cable and a black coax cable out in the free view. I have tried all the cables in the antenna input for the tv, it shows "Weak or no signal" and won't pick up any channels. Plugging in through the Freeview box using the component in works fine, but that means I can't connect the DVD.

What am I missing to make this work?

We have both normal aerials and a dish on the roof.

Is there anything that can take a component or S video out and connect through a HDMI? The manual suggests a DVI to HDMI cable, but we don't have a dvi on the DVD player.

To complicate matters, the coax cable in to the Freeview box goes from there to a splitter. Out of the splitter, one cable goes to another tv in another room, the other goes to another small device with its own power source, a signal amplifier maybe? Then, there is another heavy white cable with screw in connection that goes to the Freeview also.

I'm stumped, help,

How will they go voltage wise with nz electricity supply?

Never mind, think I've found one on eBay aus, $45. Cheers.