Sign in to follow this  
vtgts300kw

Looong shot. Anyone have an E30 Coolant Temp Sensor lying around?

Before I spend anymore money on the car in parts or labour ( after changing the thermostat and it not fixing the under heating problem ) I want to test to see if it's the Coolant Sensor ( browny/ purple/ mauve one ) that's bung.

Anyone have one they can spare briefly? I literally just need to plug it in a see how the gauge reads. I'm in Central Auckland.

Cheers.

Before I spend anymore money on the car in parts or labour ( after changing the thermostat and it not fixing the under heating problem ) I want to test to see if it's the Coolant Sensor ( browny/ purple/ mauve one ) that's bung.

Anyone have one they can spare briefly? I literally just need to plug it in a see how the gauge reads. I'm in Central Auckland.

Cheers.

how some here, but they are black, they are aftermarket ones though. how many pins on the one you need? is it for temp gauge, not the ecu right?

Edited by _Ethrty-Andy_

how some here, but they are black, they are aftermarket ones though. how many pins on the one you need? is it for temp gauge, not the ecu right?

It's a 1 pin connector. Temp sensor on top of the thermostat housing.

Is it just the plastic connector piece you have? I'd need to test both the sensor ( gold ) and the plastic ( coloured ) connector wouldn't I? Or is it just the connector that goes bad?

Driving home just now, the temp needle sat just over the first line on the dial where it has been sitting recently. I was then in traffic briefly and the needle rose to about 2/3 between the first and second ( 12 o'clock ) lines. When I got moving again it dropped. I never noticed it move before when the needle used to sit almost at 12 o'clock.

This mean anything? It has a new thermostat and the system has been bled with no air bubbles.

its not often that the sensors just die, they generally will go out of spec/callibration over a period of time. would be a good idea to check the continuity of the wires. You will need to determine what pin on the back of the ECU connector is for the temp sensor, and check for continuity between these two points.

this might help

http://www.armchair.mb.ca/~dave/BMW/e30/e30_89.pdf

Driving home just now, the temp needle sat just over the first line on the dial where it has been sitting recently. I was then in traffic briefly and the needle rose to about 2/3 between the first and second ( 12 o'clock ) lines. When I got moving again it dropped. I never noticed it move before when the needle used to sit almost at 12 o'clock.

This mean anything? It has a new thermostat and the system has been bled with no air bubbles.

Sounds exactly like a bad viscous fan clutch to me

Sounds exactly like a bad viscous fan clutch to me

Took the temperature of the coolant this morning after driving it to work and it was sitting bang on 80 degrees.

If its those Bosch blue sensors, Gavin at euroitalian has them for around 12 if I remember correctly I had bought a few from his for other projects in the past