Sign in to follow this  
WarNox

Online shopping overseas!

I was just wondering if it is worth ordering bmw parts from the US, even with the shipping charges most things still turn out to be cheaper, but i just want to know if any1 here does it regularily and where from?

eg.

oil filter, fuel filter and air filter = $117.30 here but at http://www.AutohausAZ.com all the parts come to $48 approx converted to NZD and shipping would be about $30USD!

thnx

A lot of hassle and waiting for those kind of items. Buy an aftermarket airfilter like a k&n and ust clean it regularly (that may be worth sourcing from overseas), but oil and fuel filters are pretty cheap here anyway.

Other items may be worth sourcing from overseas, but you have all sorts of issues to consider like shipping insurance, what to do if things go wrong, warranty issues, not to mention delays.

Think about 2 weeks at least before the stuff arrives, then its the wrong stuff, so you return it. It gets there 2 weeks later and they send the correct parts. thats six weeks!!!

I wouldn't bother for anything other than specialty items or something that I don't mind waiting a couple of months for.

i've bought things from the UK and Asia with good experiences, but if I can get it locally within 20% of the price, then its worth the extra to save on hassle. Not to mention you are then supporting the local economy.

Guest Andrew

get filters and stuff from repco - they really aren't all that diff to BMW items.

i do it all the time. just need to plan ahead. the kiwi dollar is all good at the moment and thats why i do it.

but i dont do it with common items.

Basically, shopping online for modification parts is my only option.

New Zealand just doesnt hold stock of anything decent.

I found out a month later after getting my wheels from a NZ retailer .. that I could have had bought them in myself for cheaper (like $3000 cheaper!) including shipping... the only saving grace is that they are under warrenty here.

as long as bush is in power shop online for the win :D

Edited by hybrid

Guest Andrew

I got nearly all the important bits for the race car from overseas - G.S.T still pwns but I couldn't of sourced ANY of this stuff locally.

I'd only buy from overseas if it's something you cant get from here. be nice to me and I can give you a discount maybe on those items, not genuine bmw items but still all good.

But then again if your thinking of getting hard to find items but can get it overseas then I suppose its worth it, as long as its not rediculously priced.

So your looking for the BIG ..$40 saving...WOW

go big spender

dont stop there...what can you save on wiper blades...oh just imagine... :wub:

seriously dude it wouldnt be worth the hassle for such items.

THINK BIGGER

:thumb:

haha on my student budged $40 is more than u can imagine heh a good nite out or such. but that $40 was just an example, i looked at online items before and just wanted to see what every1 else here in nz thought of it. so thnx for all ur responses!

so is there no real big difference in getting genuine bmw items and the ones from repco?

ps. those $4 wiper blades at repco dont look too bad :D nd sure ill b nice to u :)

On some big items for the E3, I've found its usually cheaper to shop off-shore.

For the chrome waist trim for the car, I was quoted around an average of $200+GST per component (and there are 9 of them).

I had them shipped from Germany (via FEDEX in around 5 days), for less than $1000 including shipping and GST.

Same for tie rod ends.....$350 + tax each from your local dealer or $280 for a pair for OEM parts (made in Germany) from Bavauto in the US.

For service components like oil filters....I would use genuine parts where possible.

Why......

BMW spend a lot of $$$ making sure that the service components are up to a standard. An oil filter is designed to filter down to a certain size of particle, BMW have the filters built to ensure that this specification is meet with their original parts.

If too bigger particles flow through the filter this could cause build-ups in the engine or damage engine components (like bearings), and large motor accessory companies tend to source there components based on price rather than specification.

Can you tell if the spin off filter cartridge is made of special filter paper or reformed toilet paper? You need to "trust" who you are buying stuff off that is fit for the job. Its a bit differcult to prove that a Kamakooza oil filter used 60K ago has caused the bearings to prematurely fail....at least with Genuine Parts you would have a fairly good crack at BMW fixing your car if something prematurely failed.

Edited by rxsumo

yeah thats probably right, ill do the right thing and go to bmw, one day when i need something more ill get it from overseas, so thnx for all ur replys guys :)