Sign in to follow this  
martyyyn

e34 10" Alpinas hitting rear trailing arm

I thought I would try one on the car this evening to see what they would look like (not that I don't know having had several sets over the years) but they are hard up against the rear trailing arm so I went to take it off but it's stuck fast.

I've had this before on an e39 and a gentle tap with the spare swung between my legs did the trick but this isn't budging. I've drowned it in WD40, tapped it, wiggled it even kicked it, but nothing.

Any suggestions ?

As for the width, I always thought B10's used 10" rears and I researched plenty of sites which said they would fit the e34 with no problem, so why are they hard up against the trailing arm ? My concern was the 265 tyres not fitting under the arches as I have Bilstein and Eibach suspension but that seems a long way off at the moment.

It doesn't have a tyre on either so it's not as if I can drive it to someone with a bigger hammer.

whats the offset of the rims? probably too low?? there is PLENTY of room in the rear wheel well for almost anything you like in an E34, im running 255s on Schnitzers, and plenty of room still both inwards and outwards

whats the offset of them,

we had the 10" on the back of our e34 , i think the offset was about ET3 or 5 etc

had enough clearance with a 255/40-17" just

you sure they are 5 /7 series offset not 3 series ones??

They are e28 which I would've thought was fine.

Now I'm finding mixed reports with some people saying they are a straight bolt on to the saloon, with others saying it was an issue on tourings. Dont know if I want to grind the lip off like some have done, or run spacers. They are wide enough as it is.

Edited by martyyyn

They are e28 which I would've thought was fine.

Now I'm finding mixed exports about some people saying they are a straight bolt on to the saloon, with others saying it was an issue on tourings. Dont know if I want to grind the lip off like some have done, or run spacers. They are wide enough as it is.

didn't know that they had a model of wheel in 10" for a e28??

got pics etc ,

what is the offset??

post-279-0-19804800-1391066738.jpg

post-279-0-48937700-1391066740.jpg

post-279-0-90411000-1391066742.jpg

post-279-0-51256300-1391066746.jpg

post-279-0-68773900-1391066749.jpg

They are 10J*17H2 e28 and the part number is 3611639 which I believe are B10 rears.

The offset is 28 Brent, not that they are for an e28 :)

I'm just sorting some photos now.

Edited by martyyyn

ok that is a 3 series offset ,

so fronts are about a ET35 8.5" wide ?

so you would need approx 20mm bolt on spacers etc

Edited by Brent HARTGE535i

The fronts are 8.5Jx17H2 +12 part number 3611638

that should be fine, my schnitzers are 17"x8.5 et13, so only 1mm diffference in offset.

but the 17"x10" et28 should be surprised if it will work, probably need to be in the et0-10 range i should think.

and there is no difference between touring and sedan, all the suspension is the same between both, body contours the same in the wheel well area etc etc...

ok fronts sound like the correct ones for a 5 series

but rears are wrong ,even for a e28 as the e28 and e34 rear trailing arms are the same part number

maybe they used some spacers maybe around 10mm etc to get enough clearnace for tyres to fit in the back of the e28 ,

as the e28 dont have as much space in that area compared to a e34

and i doudt you could get a proper low offset 10" wide in the back of a e28 with decent width tyres

without modifing the gaurds

Edited by Brent HARTGE535i

i actually cant even think of any car that would run that combo

17x8.5 et12

17x10 et28

sounds like a missmatched set of wheels????

17x8.5 et12

17x10 et28

i agree

I found a post from Boris (Mr_e34) on forum5.co.uk saying they are an e32 fitment and will only fit an e34 with modifications to the rear trailing arm.

Bugger.

I had the exact same combination on an e32 750iL in the UK too.

Edited by martyyyn

So back to the original problem....how the hell do I get it off ?

block of wood and a hammer , maybe let some air out too

how did you not notice when you torqued it right up???

you will need to get behind the wheel 180degrees from where it is hitting the trailing arm, (so invisible line from where it is hitting the trailing arm, through the hub, to the other edge of the wheel) and use the trailing arm as the pivot point rather than the hub. probably the only way it will come off. failing that, a bit whorey, but you could try putting the car in drive, and letting the wheel spin and pop it self off. unlikely to break anything, but not exactly the mechanics method...

I didn't torque it right up, but there was bugger all resistance when I did it. Nothing more than I've experienced in changing hundreds of wheels previously.

ok fronts sound like the correct ones for a 5 series

but rears are wrong ,even for a e28 as the e28 and e34 rear trailing arms are the same part number

maybe they used some spacers maybe around 10mm etc to get enough clearnace for tyres to fit in the back of the e28 ,

as the e28 dont have as much space in that area compared to a e34

and i doudt you could get a proper low offset 10" wide in the back of a e28 with decent width tyres

without modifing the gaurds

17x8.5 et12

17x10 et28

i agree

a bit late but they are not mismatched rims, they are from a 7 series. All 7 series run a slightly higher rear offset.

They best way to get the wheel off is to hit it with a rubber mallet. Can you spin the rim around at all by putting the car in neutral. If so this will let you bang it at different points around the rim. I would also be putting down an old blanket under the rim as Murphy's law says it will pop off at the wrong moment and land on the face putting bug scratches on it.