Sign in to follow this  
ipwnyou

Diff Question

A LSD 3.25 From a 1987 633i - its done 60k miles. Would this work in my E30? Does it matter what type of engine I am getting to what type of diff I need? Im looking at a 2.5L engine but not sure which series yet.

If that wont work or isnt ideal, what should I be looking for in a LSD?

I don't know if it would fit, but you'd need to check whther the driveshafts to the wheels would fit, the stud pattern of the input flange, and how much work is involved gettiong it noumted if the mounts are different..

i went to have a look at the online ETK, but e24's aren't covered so no help there.

Edited by bravomikewhiskey

I don't know if it would fit, but you'd need to check whther the driveshafts to the wheels would fit, the stud pattern of the input flange, and how much work is involved gettiong it noumted if the mounts are different..

i went to have a look at the online ETK, but e24's aren't covered so no help there.

Hmm ok - i'll be getting the driveshaft replaced anyway, so i suppose it would also depend on the driveshaft. Maybe I should be looking for a LSD from a 525 which is what im getting an engine from most probably anyway?

Man I know so little ><

I presume you mean '77 633i as they weren't made after '81

If so the diff is not compatable.

Any "Type 188" from a E24 or 28 will bolt in after you swap the stub axles & the rear cover for ones from a E30 "Type 188" diff.

The Type 188 diff is also known as the Medium case diff (168=small 210=big).

Happy hunting.

This is what I was looking at. Maybe the guy doesnt know what hes talking about?

There are a few other ones on Ebay - ill take another look later.

Thanks for the info man :)

Hmm ok - i'll be getting the driveshaft replaced anyway, so i suppose it would also depend on the driveshaft.

I was talking about the axles - The main driveshaft is what bolts to the input flange. The one in the pic has four holes on the flange which is same as e30, but whether they are the same spacing????

I wouldn't bother with that one - find one locally.

Hmm ok - i'll be getting the driveshaft replaced anyway, so i suppose it would also depend on the driveshaft. 

I was talking about the axles - The main driveshaft is what bolts to the input flange. The one in the pic has four holes on the flange which is same as e30, but whether they are the same spacing????

I wouldn't bother with that one - find one locally.

Ahh right.

The reason I was looking on Ebay is because that was $225US which is $390NZ and is about $60 shipping - which is still almost $400 cheaper than the ones that were on trademe.

As far as I can remember, the driveshaft CV's on the e28 diff are bigger than the e30 CV's, bigger diameter. Also, it is a much bigger housing so would have to be adapted to the e30 cradle. It is also possible that the driveshaft mounting flange is bigger.

Best do some homework before buying one, suggest getting hold of Ray, (Royz on Trademe), he has wrecked all sorts and can possibly give you an answer and possibly even supply one.. His number is 0211625615.

As far as I can remember, the driveshaft CV's on the e28 diff are bigger than the e30 CV's, bigger diameter. Also, it is a much bigger housing so would have to be adapted to the e30 cradle. It is also possible that the driveshaft mounting flange is bigger....

Refer my post above, they bolt in, been there done that.

ipwnyou:

Sorry, I thought you were refering to a local (euro) 633i, the Us may still have got them later than '81 I previously.

The Diff in the pic is a medium case type 188 diff and will bolt into the E30 after you swap the stub axles (what the CV's bolt to), and the rear cover with E30 type 188 items.

Just watch the ratio, unless you are going to use a gearbox with a 1:1 5th (E36's for example) the gearing will be very tall, ask ///carl what a 3.25 is like.

Refer my post above, they bolt in, been there done that.

ipwnyou:

Sorry, I thought you were refering to a local (euro) 633i, the Us may still have got them later than '81 I previously.

The Diff in the pic is a medium case type 188 diff and will bolt into the E30 after you swap the stub axles (what the CV's bolt to), and the rear cover with E30 type 188 items.

Just watch the ratio, unless you are going to use a gearbox with a 1:1 5th (E36's for example) the gearing will be very tall, ask ///carl what a 3.25 is like.

Awesome man, thanks for the info.

Im considering bringing a few of these into the country for pretty cheap - combined shipping is alot cheaper. Would anyone else be interested in one of these?

60 buck for shipping sounds extremely cheap, is that what he told you?

Thats by sea, and takes 6 - 12 weeks and its US$60

True, not bad then. I haven't delt with private sellers, only online shops and they r@pe you for shipping.