Sign in to follow this  
Rrascal

E34 (M30B30) Weird electrical gremlin with drivers side windows...

Strange behaviour from windows... Arrived at a friends place last night with drivers window down. When I attempted to close the window, the REAR right hand window went DOWN...! ...And then neither of them would close. I left it alone until I departed, when both windows were working fine again. This has happened once before but I hadn't realised it at the time, because I had remotely locked the car at home and not paid any attention, but when I returned to the car both right hand windows were down. I suspect this is a sign of incipient failure of something, anyone help me with what it might be...?

It's done it again now. Sunroof involved too, it's open in the up position. Attempting to raise either of the right hand windows produces a 'click' from the sunroof area, presumably the limit switch. Attempting to close the sunroof produces a click from the drivers door... Passengers side still working fine... Oh for manual windows... Electronics, the way to kill a car that won't wear out...

Edited by Rrascal

Its funny ive had over 10 E34's and never had one electrical problem.

Could be the GM module under the rear seat or maybe some damaged\corroded wiring

Could also check the fusable link at the same time

Went through fuses under rear seat, replaced several that were the wrong value (and the rear window demister one which was blown) and now the windows/sunroof are working again... Don't know if I've affected anything or it's just decided to function again by itself like it did last time... I already replaced the fusable link some time ago when a whole lot of things all quit at once.

Yeah i remember something about you replacing that now.

There's also relay module which i forgot about that can cause problems like this

• Like 1

Problem reared it's inconvenient head again... Swapped out the relay module with the one out of my E32 M30B30 wreck. Not the same numbers, (except the first four), but provisionally rectified problem... I'll give it a few days, see if it happens again...

While I'm here, anyone have a spare idle control valve to suit a 1988 E34 M30...?

Or alternatively, advice on how to go about transferring cruise control from my E32...? That would also cure my problem, but is the wiring all there, and what do I have to swap...? I've noted the throttle body and vacuum lines are different, presumably the engine control module and switch gear, anything else...?

have got some GMs, RMs here you can try if needed. Will be up your way in the next month or so.

also check the window buttons by the hand brake, if i recall correctly they are the same as E32 type so you should be able to swap those over. I have seen that before on on of my E34 projects gone now

Ive got a spare ICV from an M30.

Cruise control is easy to retrofit as all the wiring\plugs should be there and its plug n plug.

Install the module from the ecu box(has a blue connector, the blue plug usually in plastic),

Install and plug in the cruise control stalk with E32 steering wheel plastic trim so it fits,

Plug in the actuator(should be a plug near your power steering reservoir), adjust the actuator throttle cable tension

Test it(hopefully the actuator still works)

Edit: The assuming you talking about swapping cruise control from E32 730i to your 530i.

Edited by Eagle