Sign in to follow this  
sierra9260

Engine Oil, Gear Box Oil and how to fill

I have a 1988 Bmw e30 320i M20B20.

It has a Getrag 240 5 speed gear box. I thought it best before I drive it too much after it has just had a new manual conversion, that I change the gear box oil. I have had a search through some forums and there seems to be a lot of different types you can get. I also learnt sometimes there are tags on the bell housing that indicate which oil should be used. I thought I would ask some local people as I would get a better idea and have some more up to date knowledge on what oil to buy for the 240.

Also how is it drained out then filled? There is a small port on top of the gear box with a plastic cap in it... is it filled in through here? There is what appears to be a plug which has an inverted hex indentation of about 17mm, on on bottom of the box. Is this the drain plug?

I know how to fill the crank case oil but I was wondering what a good oil would be for an M20.

Thanks guys.

Edited by sierra9260

Gearbox is filled from the side through a plug, it will be like that hex indentation you see except further up. - undo this one first.

There's another one below it that is the drain.

Should be specs on the net. Usually around ~1.2L

Use a good quality Gear Oil, from a named brand, EP80 I think is the grade and you will be sweet.

The principle is you keep pumping it into the filler hole until it comes back out at you - that tells you it's filled to the right level!!

ALWAYS remove the filler plug BEFORE the drain plug!

If you drain it, then can't fill it' you're a bit screwed!

I used Redline MTL for my trans. It was $40 a litre and i got two bottles/litres. still 3/4 left in the second bottle. Yes it's very expensive but it greatly improved my shifting making it feel less notchy/sticky. Anyway, whatever you go with make sure you use a GL-4 oil. And as mentioned, undo the filler plug before undoing the drain plug. I had trouble with the filler plug so I took it to the mechanic. Oh also, both plugs are 17mm hex/allen. that was for my Getrag 260. Not sure if the 240 is the same

$40 shiiit, i paid $26 at BNT like 2 weeks ago.

$40 shiiit, i paid $26 at BNT like 2 weeks ago.

Weird, bought it at BNT in Wellington. Would have been just before christmas i think

Weird, bought it at BNT in Wellington. Would have been just before christmas i think

Wow awesome response to this guys. Always thankful for the guidance.

I will give BNT a call tomorrow and try and sort some redline MTL for a decent price and fill this sucker, see how it does.