Sign in to follow this  
Etwenty1

rear drum brake imbalance (mitsubishi RVR)

Trying to sort out the old mans RVR for a WOF repair, its been on the brake rollers at VTNZ and has failed with an imbalance from the right to the left rear drum brakes. I fitted new shoes and scuffed up the drums because they appeared very glazed/shiny. This has not fixed the imbalance.

I considered the setting up of the shoes which i did slightly loose because these have the automatic adjusters on the shoes.

Round 2 tonight, will be re-setting the shoes more snugly and bleeding the brakes this time.

If this is unsuccessful it will be off to the shop. Any suggestions?

Get a WOF elsewhere and just fork out the extra wof money. VTNZ are notorious for failing cars on rear imbalance, having owners get it all fixed and still failing.

Could also be the brake proportioning valve if fitted . Follow the brake lines to the firewall and see if it goes into a valve body bolted to the firewall

Could also be the brake proportioning valve if fitted . Follow the brake lines to the firewall and see if it goes into a valve body bolted to the firewall

^This - used to have it all the time in our rental fleet.

Thanks, Is this valve serviceable? how can you determine if it is working properly?

Not serviceable... by making sure adjustment is correct and the brakes are bled properly. It's a bit hit and miss. Inbalance on a rolling road can also be caused by tyre pressures

Could be all the unburnt oil in the muffler making one side of the car heavier and changing the balance.

can take a little while for the auto adjusters to come right. Take it for a decent drive with decent braking and when you get home see if you can push the pedal with a windup jack and piece of wood. Slowly add more pressure see if they tighten up evenly. If they get to point of not turning by hand evenly but then are uneven under pressure its likely the valve. If they catch one first it may be the adjusters or cylinders

cheers for that Jason, yeah personally not keen on the GDI's but it suits the driver.

I guess by tightening up you mean turning the wheels by hand....

Yea slowly apply brake with rear in the air and see when the brakes tighten up. Shouldnt take long at all

Sent from my GT-I8160L using Tapatalk 2

Rear wheels tested evenly using the above method. Replaced both cylinders, bled brakes and WOF passed.

Nice now curl up in the shower and sob about how the filth wont wash off.