Sign in to follow this  
johnythefish

M60/2-4.00L Idle speed varying

Hello guys and gals, finally did it and bought a early E38 with the M60 motor. I havent picked car up yet, but when car started sounds all good nice and sweet, but noticed the idle speed varying (idle is smooth) Took car for a blast.....whoo! stopped back at sellers house, left engine running, popped bonnet again. Idle still varying, its only speeding up a little, allmost like A/C coming in and out, but had turned A/C off all this time. I did do some googling on the issue, and seems to point to the ICV or the intake hose, but the symptons discribed nearly allways start with "idle rough" whereas this nice and smooth. Any ideas? I have commited to buying this car, it is twenty years old but doesn't look like it. And it comes with the bits I wanted! Thanks in advance for any help/advice

I would give the icv a good clean out regardless. Same with the maf if you have cleaner. Like was said get it scanned first. Other issues can be ccv valve and intake gaskets but these are usually presented with a rough idle so hopefully nothing that bad

Sent from my GT-I8160L using Tapatalk 2

vac leaks on intake pipes , sticky icv , faulty maf , bad PCV etc .

leaking intake manifold gaskets etc

If you look at hidden obc functions you can get a read out of exact revs. Migjt come in handy

Sent from my GT-I8160L using Tapatalk 2

Get it scanned before you purchase - best thing you can do! Might not tell you the exact issue, but will lead you in the right direction to what it could be.

Get it scanned before you purchase - best thing you can do! Might not tell you the exact issue, but will lead you in the right direction to what it could be.

You hit the nail on the head there Amber-Leigh

Hey thanks guys for your sugestions, getting the car scanned is going to be a bit tricky now(especially before I pay the guy the balance). I live in the South Waikato, and the car is in Whitianga, and I plan to pick up this next Friday. At the least a 3.5hr drive, I personally don't know anyone with a scanner (but maybe I should get to!) I'll just try cleaning ICV and check for any air leaks first I suppose. Just as a thought, the guy had just.....like just. fitted a new battery, its not the car "learning some new sh*t" perhaps, or is that just wishfull thinking. Is it advisable to not to leave key in ignition, when I do the cleaning of MAF or ICV etc? I was reading a post on here earlier, and that was an important thing to do, or not to do, however you read it! Cheers

You hit the nail on the head there Amber-Leigh

Wouldn't want someone to do the same mistake I did.. I was too convinced on the car, that I let too many things slide.

I love my car, but wish I had done the minor things which may have stopped the major things.

Try and do some research on people and places that could do this for you John, it will be so very worth it!! Maybe even ask the guy for somebody that could do it local?

Up too you in the end, and for all you know, could be something so simple you have already mentioned, I just know I wouldn't want to make my mistake twice :)