Sign in to follow this  
Driftit

RUC on Private Light Vehicles

Pay more ACC content in the fee. You are obviously more likely to have an accident in a diesel than a petrol...?!?

Of course. They are faster and less safe. Like motorbikes.

Diesels and motorbikes. Pretty much the same thing.

• Like 2

I deal with all of this on a day to day basis. I probably call them once a week with a new combination they don't support for trucks and trailers.

And as I said. A heavy crane needs to buy RUC that doesn't even allow it to drive. They then need to purchase an addition 20 tons of weight just to be able to go up the road. Bloody hassle for them.

Light vehicles do need a classification system the same as the heavy vehicles. I will have a chat to some of our people in the know at the NZTA to see what they feel will happen.

In the mean time I am going to buy a heap of RUC so I don't forget to get some. Or put an Eroad unit in the car and leave it on Auto.

Can anyone explain why Diesel Rego is more expensive?

There is an acc component when you buy petrol at the pump.there is no or less acc component in the diesel price You pay the difference in rego,just like motorbikes. It costs me 1000 to register my bike and car for a year

You can buy untaxed diesel, it's red and they can see if you have been using it on the road easily.

You can buy untaxed diesel, it's red and they can see if you have been using it on the road easily.

I didn't know you'd move to the UK?

perhaps I shouldn't listen to everything my friends say... well they are from Gore.....

There is an acc component when you buy petrol at the pump.there is no or less acc component in the diesel price You pay the difference in rego,just like motorbikes. It costs me 1000 to register my bike and car for a year

The risk:reward of registration/non registration of a (high capacity) motorbike seems strongly in favour of the latter? Especially if you're only doing a few thousand km/year. Ignoring any ethical considerations of course...

-edit: 600+cc bike has registration cost of $591 p.a.

The fine for non registered vehicles is $200. So break even is 3 tickets per year.

Doing about 15,000km a year I get stopped on average maybe once or twice and then it's a coin toss if the cop checks my rego ticket... Expected payoff seems firmly in favour of non registration... especially on a bike

Edited by kingkarl

The risk:reward of registration/non registration of a (high capacity) motorbike seems strongly in favour of the latter? Especially if you're only doing a few thousand km/year. Ignoring any ethical considerations of course...

The fine for non registered vehicles is $200. So break even is 3 tickets per year.

Doing about 15,000km a year I get stopped on average maybe once or twice and then it's a coin toss if the cop checks my rego ticket... Expected payoff seems firmly in favour of non registration... especially on a bike

I see where you're coming from there, but what about insurance if you stack the bike or you accidentally hit another vehicle? And there's always be that feeling of 'looking over your shoulder'

I do agree though, the price for owning a registered bike is horrendous, especially when you have more than one.

I see where you're coming from there, but what about insurance if you stack the bike or you accidentally hit another vehicle? And there's always be that feeling of 'looking over your shoulder'

I do agree though, the price for owning a registered bike is horrendous, especially when you have more than one.

Should you be eligible for ACC if you don't pay your Rego?

I feel that you shouldn't be.

Arent there demerit points applicable now?

My 1000cc 60 hp r100 is prolly slower than a modern 300

Edited by kiwi535

Is insurance definitely dependent on valid registration?

Should you be eligible for ACC if you don't pay your Rego?

I feel that you shouldn't be.

I agree this is one of many failings with. Free, no fault cover for tourists/foreigners is another obvious one but I guess that depends on your own view.

Ignoring ethics I think non registration is the more rational strategy (provided insurance is still valid).

Julio

Arent there demerit points applicable now?

My 1000cc 60 hp r100 is prolly slower than a modern 300

No demerits for it (yet)

Is insurance definitely dependent on valid registration?

I agree this is one of many failings with. Free, no fault cover for tourists/foreigners is another obvious one but I guess that depends on your own view.

Ignoring ethics I think non registration is the more rational strategy (provided insurance is still valid).

No demerits for it (yet)

99% sure that you'll find it is dependent. Insurance companies will try anything to get out of a claim and it's most likely the first thing they'd check.

perhaps I shouldn't listen to everything my friends say... well they are from Gore.....

You misspelled the name of the town. It has 7x R's in it, i.e Gorrrrrrre.

Edited by The Diesel Guy

A staff member of one of my clients daily drives a Motorbike that hasnt had rego since 2010. Think its a Hyosung or something.

I manage two bikes , registration is on hold over winter and I just register the bike for the period that I am likely to use it, i.e. December to April inclusive. means I pay about 40% of the annual fee on one and only 20% on the other (its a Ducati takes the other 80% of the year to do maintenance)

I also have my farm hack on hold at the moment which is a diesel pajero - you can guess why.

It's really simple to do - you go on line, you need a valid drivers licence and it's FREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

"Managing" my licencing saves me about $1200 a year.

same here, have never had more than one of the toys "live" at any one time, and when they are still only do 3 months, because being old BMWs they like to be off the road having my "love and care" more than they do driving!

My cab will be hibernating for winter very soon to have manual conversion, rear right window reg is a bit sticky etc, all projects that have potential to get out of hand. Meanwhile V12 RWD car is very fun in the wet and has a solid roof, perfik for winter!

I've always had diesel 4WDs & utes for over 20yrs, & still do. Your first sentence astounds me in that its not something you've considered or probably given a rats a$$ about until umm, you've become a light diesel owner yourself......... ;):) but yes, its not a totally fair system, but its the system we've got........

All light vehicles now pay the same rate for RUC's, something else that changed around 18 months ago, regardless of whether its a 3 series BMW, or a Landcruiser or whatever. Somewhat unfairly IMO, I'm lead to believe trucks are now further penalised by having to buy their RUC's at whatever the vehicle's GVM rating is, irrespective of their maybe running at a consistently lighter weight.........

Dutchy would have better info, but theres some units out there paying more than $1 per km on RUC's.........

Yep I am paying for 55 ton but I am only aloud 45.5 ton inc tolerance,

I am a nominated 9 axel unit and I can not pull a 5 axel b train I pay less

than a 8 axel unit.

Plus in the last 20 months I have paid 7000.00 on add bleu for the environment.

I went from 1.65 km/ltr in the old truck to 2.00 km/ltr in new truck but the saving

is taken away by the add blue

Any new system should also take into account that tractors only have hour meters, not odometers, and spend 0-1% of their time on the road anyway.

It's a complicated mess, and I'm glad it's not up to me to sort it! I can see it being one of those things where not everyone ends up satisfied.