Sign in to follow this  
martyyn

Karma Vote

This is more of a question for Andrew but I wondered if anyone else had a viewpoint on this subject.

Im on two other forums whereby members can 'self-police' the posts made by others. One forum allows you to give plus or minus' to a member in general if they consider a post to be inappropriate, the other gives the vote to the post itself and if it gets a certain number of votes its deleted.

The reason I bring this up is that we had (what I thought) was a perfectly reasonable thread locked due to several postings that were just wrong.

I have no complaints about the thread being locked but if there was a method whereby we could 'downgrade' a message until it was removed would we need to lock threads at all ?

I dont know if this is an option on the forum software or even if the powers that be are interested in it if it were, but I thought Id mention it.

Guest Andrew

I'm unsure how it could be implemented - in the near future we are switching version of board software and the newer version may support it.

As for whether its a good idea or not - I think it is. No need for moderators etc etc - let the people decide what is acceptable.

If you are refering to the thread regarding damian and the corolla - then I thought it should of been locked - specifically for the reason it was becoming stupid OT and its just not practical to delete that many posts by one member.

Do you have links to the other forums you are on so I can see thier forum software?

It's only the internet, just take everything at face value. Remember real life is a whole different kettle of fish, and it is important that on forums such as this, people are not always what they seem.

Besides, it is highly entertaining.

Cheers

Grant

i have seen forums such as gmini400.com which has that karma thing. appears to work pretty well.

but it is entertaining, you cocks.

haha yea the tone was seemingly lowered in that thread, only due to the fact you havent seen the full story..

anyways, if you notice the majority of the time you wont see a moderator do anything anymore, cept the occasional move of a thread or fix some shooking spelling, a few deletions but generally unchanged.

the "oh thats a good post or bad post" thing seems of little value..

and any real bad comments can already be reported to the mods for review.

anyways.

peace.

andy kiwibiker.co.nz have the reputation points thing that marty is thinking of..

its just another thing for people to chase like post count whores like you and me..

Edited by *sic

All I require is the ability to edit or delete my own posts. Sometimes I poste in haste and sometimes I realise posts can be misinterpreted - particularly when one is being funny but it doesn't seem that way to others.

Its an adult board and imo peer rating opens the forum up to exploitation by people or groups who wish to direct it to their own belief systems. IMO the mods do just fine here.

I find it sad that some people feel the need to go totally off for little/no provocation, but I'd like them to take self-responibility, instead of me voting and rating their posts.

Personally, if someone offends my sense of what is appropriate posting, I tend to consider them wankers and don't respond. Sometimes I can't help but respond in kind.

But even when threads go right off the wall - it can be fun just reading and not responding.

My vote: leave as is.

All I require is the ability to edit or delete my own posts. Sometimes I poste in haste and sometimes I realise posts can be misinterpreted - particularly when one is being funny but it doesn't seem that way to others.

Its an adult board and imo peer rating opens the forum up to exploitation by people or groups who wish to direct it to their own belief systems. IMO the mods do just fine here.

I find it sad that some people feel the need to go totally off for little/no provocation, but I'd like them to take self-responibility, instead of me voting and rating their posts.

Personally, if someone offends my sense of what is appropriate posting, I tend to consider them wankers and don't respond. Sometimes I can't help but respond in kind.

But even when threads go right off the wall - it can be fun just reading and not responding.

Ahhhh the voice of intelligence.

Well put.

Ahhhh the voice of intelligence.

Well put.

word teach!

I wont bother to cut and paste everyones points but I hope Ill get to all of them.

Andrew,

The reason for bringing it up was not to remove the mods, I think they do a sterling job, its just an option some other forums have. It has been abused by one or two who have felt wronged by the admins, but Ive always liked the personal one as it sort of shows who you can trust and who you cant. Sad that Im thinking about who to trust but there you go.

Personally I think if Damian wants to take the approach he does (and I have no problem with it probably because Im not on the receiving end ;-)) then I think he should be a pleb like the rest of us rather than a mod....thats just my opinion and its not meant as a dig at him. I have found alot of his stuff very funny recently but I can see why others havent.

As for locking the thread, I have no problem with that and wasnt looking for an explaination. I think everyone could see where it was heading.

Grant,

I can understand what your saying about it only being the internet, but its because its only the internet that I believe this sort of thing needs to be moderated. I personally wont post anything I wouldnt say to someones face. But others are willing to use the anonymity to do the opposite. Perhaps if one or two individuals got an i-slap they might think about what they are writing the next time.

*sic,

It never ceases to amaze me how you manage to rub people up so much my friend....you have a talent Ill give you that :D

Jazz,

I think the system would only be exploited by those who fail to show any self restraint already, so perhaps you right. None of this would be necessary if people thought about what they were writing rather than just letting fly.

A few months back there was "the great bimmersport uprising of 2005" and alot of members (myself included I must admit) had a crack at the mods. Since then the site has been its fantastic self, there is enough of the bitching and creative modding to make things interesting/funny, but nothing out of hand or stupid. Mods are doing a fantastic job. Have we found the perfect median?????

Anywho, it seems that a few n00b's andor dumbarses have got burned this week - great! Means that the mod system is working.

Leave it - she be sweet as she is.

Although your idea has merit martyyn, not sure it is required or even that good an idea to implement.

Grant,

I can understand what your saying about it only being the internet, but its because its only the internet that I believe this sort of thing needs to be moderated. I personally wont post anything I wouldnt say to someones face. But others are willing to use the anonymity to do the opposite. Perhaps if one or two individuals got an i-slap they might think about what they are writing the next time.

Martyn

You make very valid points, and my points weren't so much aimed directly at your post, but were more a catalyst to my thoughts, about the fact that this is only the internet, and not real life. My comme

I fully agree, I only post stuff that I would say to someone's face, or that I would be happy with my grandmother reading (but then again my surviving grandmother is pretty liberal, and is not easily offended...but I digress).

On the whole we seem to have pretty good core bunch here now, and as a moderator I find myself not doing a heck of a lot of moderating (this was not the case a few months ago). There seems to be little in the way of personal attacks lately (with the well known recent exception...but there was more to this than met the eye).

My current bug-bear at present (and I accept that I am getting older, and have two school teachers for parents) is the flagrant disregard for the english language. I will jump on this pretty quickly. But again I digress.

Cheers

Grant

Guest Andrew

On a side note: I think we should remove post counts - because mine is getting embarassingly large.

I need a new admin now anyway - who wants to put thier hand up? We are minus Cilk Wurm (as he seems to of gone AWOL) - so he will be getting replaced.

For now - we won't have a Karma system. I think is pretty obvious who people don't like.

There is a warn system that the admins can use - I've never really got how it works. Basically there are different levels of warning etc etc and it eventually leads to a ban. Kinda like real life hah.

But again I digress.

definitely a sign of old fartedness.... ask me.. :P

But I agree with most of what has been said above, I think leave it as it is. The odd person that gets out of hand here definitely gets shut down very quickly, often with very amusing reading, better than any soap.....

I'll put my hand up for a mod . But as if you'll pick me.. being 14 and all.

I think post counts should be removed..

emma we have been over this

just cos your a girl, it doesnt mean your e cock cant grow with your post count

dont feel left out.....be one of the boys

I need a new admin now anyway - who wants to put thier hand up?

*looks around sneakily and puts hand up slowly*
Bingo...there we go, you are top of my "next in line".

Cheers

Grant

Why do you need a new admin/mod anyway?

I'll proberbly see Sam on the saturday so I'll ask where he's been

Whether someone is being a retard , no matter where it happens real life (non-internetised) Karma will get them eventually

Grant,

After Ryan, May I suggest you appoint Andy (E30stz) as a Mod if you need him?

Edited by BMW POWER

Grant, just a little off-topic here, but it has to do with your statement about teacher-parents and spelling phobia... just thought you (and others) might appreciate this...

If you ever feel stupid, then just read on. If  you've learned to speak fluent English, you must be a genius!

This little treatise on the lovely language we share is only for the brave. Peruse at your leisure, English lovers.

Reasons why the English language is so hard to learn:

1) The bandage was wound around the wound.

2) The farm was used to produce produce.

3) The dump was so full that it had to refuse more refuse.

4) We must polish the Polish furniture.

5) He could lead if he would get the lead out.

6) The soldier decided to desert his dessert in the desert.

7) Since there is no time like the present, he thought it was time to

present the present.

8) A bass was painted on the head of the bass drum.

9) When shot at, the dove dove into the bushes.

10) I did not object to the object.

11) The insurance was invalid for the invalid.

12) There was a row among the oarsmen about how to row.

13) They were too close to the door to close it.

14) The buck does funny things when the does are present.

15) A seamstress and a sewer fell down into a sewer line.

16) To help with planting, the farmer taught his sow to sow.

17) The wind was too strong to wind the sail

18) After a number of injections my jaw got number.

19) Upon seeing the tear in the painting I shed a tear.

20) I had to subject the subject to a series of tests.

21) How can I intimate this to my most intimate friend?

There is no egg in eggplant nor ham in hamburger; neither apple nor pine in pineapple. English muffins weren't invented in England or French fries in France.  Sweetmeats are candies while sweetbreads, which aren't sweet, are meat.

Quicksand works slowly, boxing rings are square and a guinea pig is neither from Guinea nor is it a pig. And why is it that writers write but fingers don't fing, grocers don't groce and hammers don't ham? If the plural of tooth is teeth, why isn't the plural of booth beeth? One goose, 2 geese. So one moose, 2 meese? Doesn't it seem crazy that you can make amends but not one amend. If you have a bunch of odds and ends and get rid of all but one of them, what do you call it? Is it an odd, or an end? 

If teachers taught, why didn't preachers praught? If a vegetarian eats vegetables, what does a humanitarian eat? In what language do people recite at a play and play at a recital? Ship by truck and send cargo by ship? Have noses that run and feet that smell?  How can a slim chance and a fat chance be the same, while a wise man and a wise guy are opposites? You have to marvel at the unique lunacy of a language in which your house can burn up as it burns down, in which you fill in a form by filling it out and in which, an alarm goes off by going on.

English was invented by people, not computers, and it reflects the  creativity of the human race, which, of course, is not a race at all. That is why, when the stars are out, they are visible, but when the lights are out, they are invisible.  P.S. - Why doesn't "Buick" rhyme with "quick"?

Personally - get rid of post count and replace with 'date of subscription'. I don't think there is a need for a 'community' delete/ban thingee.

Post counts don't mean sh*t.

Three mods/admins is proberly all it takes. One head poncho - two support twig wackers. Jesus, this ain't telecom, and I mean this with greatest respect to BS. Far too many chiefs, not enough indians basically...

If I was made a mod, first thing I would do would be to take sics stick off him, and insert it

:finger:

No really - just call it community service :jap:

Edited by 318is

Guest Andrew

I just noticed sam never was a mod hah -

anyhow - i like to keep it one mod to 100 members - regardless if there are that many real member.

the interweb and real life maybe closer than you think.....as in the real world when the great unwashed respond to stimulus instead of just the normal suspects we get the uprising we had recently....and then things happen.Martyns rating system may give some warnings before we get to that point.