Sign in to follow this  
Tristan

E90 320i vs 323i (Msport)

Hi everyone

Dads looking for a daily and is tossing up between these.

The trade off is +20,000km more + a few grand for the 323i msport.

Are the 323 engines any more or less reliable than the 320i?

The cars are ex-japan

Thanks in advance

Not sure about reliability, but the engine in the E90 320i is not BMW's best effort in terms of performance. I think it is strangled a bit in order to meet emissions rules. As a result I have always found the 20i a little sluggish and needing a good bootfull to get going. Pretty sure you would see a big difference with the 323i being a de-tuned 2.5ltr and not too much worse in terms of fuel consumption in real-world use.

Not sure about reliability, but the engine in the E90 320i is not BMW's best effort in terms of performance. I think it is strangled a bit in order to meet emissions rules. As a result I have always found the 20i a little sluggish and needing a good bootfull to get going. Pretty sure you would see a big difference with the 323i being a de-tuned 2.5ltr and not too much worse in terms of fuel consumption in real-world use.

Thanks Jon. Don't think he's overly concerned about performance as my brother will be learning in it, and he has another car for power but just doesn't want to push the Ks up on.

We will drive a couple of 323s we're looking at this weekend. Admittedly, having driven the 320s they are pretty sluggish. Is it worth pushing for the 325 IYO?

not sure if the difference between the 323 and 325 are only software. could very well be suspension and gearbox settings. 323i's can be had for quite cheap comparatively.

Personally i'd be going for the 6cyl for smoothness but not a motorsport - i hate the front bumper on them. Reminds me of a mouth breather ....

I have driven a 320i on a long distance run and they aren't fantastic in terms of power, but they are fantastic in terms of economy. I put my Dad off buying one because I had heard the direct injection motor had some issues, but I imagine by now they would have been sorted if that car had any. I would probably go for the 323, just because it will hold a bit more value.

Jeez, don't start that one off again...B)

I just bought a 320i MSport E90 2 weeks ago with a prepurchase inspection done at BM Workshop!

I am very happy with it as I chose fuel economy vs 323 or 325. As far as power is concerned, It does the job going to 100km/h, lol..