Sign in to follow this  
satianv

Sticky Automatic Tranny when cold

Hi There,

I just bought myself an E30 318i 1989 Auto

My Automatic tranny seems to be getting all stuck when the car is cold and shifting properly once warmed up.

I have sent the car to Page European and getting them to change the Fluid and filter just to see if that might be the cause. The guys at Page feel that this could be something more serious.

Anyone seen this...I sincerely hope I don't have to give up my E30..sob sob. :unsure:

Guest Andrew

just like to add there are heaps of auto bmw trannys around from people that have done conversions - hey there is even a manual conversion kit for sale right now in the for sale section.

Will not be a huge dollar repair.

Auto's are a pain, go the manual conversion now and save the hassle of repairing the auto tranny.

Sounds to me like the torque convertor has gone. Look at a a grand to a couple of grand to re-build that auto box, or find another second hand one.

Cheers

Grant

Edited by Grant

Sounds to me like the torque convertor has gone. Look at a a grand to a couple of grand to re-build that auto box, or find another second hand one.

Cheers

Grant

definatly do the conversion unless you like the auto, i paid 2 grand about 8 months ago to get a recon and work on my auto, and for that you can easily afford a mint conversion, mine has just cost $1500 to do, i wish i had done it before i forked out for the auto!! dont do what i did!!!

cheers

i have an auto box on the back of a M10 motor, not sure if it would suit your car, but you can have it for beer money if you need/can use it. I was going to bin it and keep the motor for a trial M10 turbo job as per Graeme's post the other day. Is still in the car and can be driven. You would need to organise transport though, Paeroa is useless in that department. :puke:

Mine would hold on to first gear until it got warm too. It just got worse and worse. Then 85k torque converter lock failed, next the rest of the gears failed one by one (highest to lowest) until I only had first and reverse. It took about a week to go from shifting perfectly to no shifting at all, I changed the fluid and screen but it made no difference.

ahhhhh so thats what wouldve happened to mine before i got the car, when i got it, the only gear was reversse! lol it sat in my yard for about 3 months