Sign in to follow this  
kiwi328i

M60B40 valve covers - Wrinkle finish?

What do you guys think?

I would like the manky valve covers I have sorted, I could have go myself, but, nah I want them done properly, and with some assurance I wont have to do it again for some time, so I was thinking about getting them powdercoated. I have googled it, and as usual there is contradicting info, so please reply if you have actually had a valve cover powdercoated and what your thoughts are if you were to do it again.

In any case, I am going to 'fix them up' because they are a bloody eyesore, whether it is with a can of cheap paint or whatever, they cant be any worse.

Oh and of course, where do you go? I spoke to a bloke down at powdercoating Henderson and I wasn't totally convinced. If you have to explain what a valve cover is to someone, it does not impart a sense of confidence, but who knows?

Cheers

Rattlecan wrinkle - Make sure you strip/prep them well and you have an oven that is large enough to cure then in. I tried doing mine on the barbeque with the hood down and it did not produce the desired finish.

Edited by etwenty1

Hey Chris, thanks for the reply, but I was after more success stories I guess. I would hate to clean, and these things would require a crap load of cleaning oil not too mention the amount of flakey oem paint, so I want to do them once and do it so that I can forget about it for a long time.

+1 i have vht wrinkle black on mine. Awesome look. I only painted the front and lower side in wrinkle as the rest isnt seen. The rest i did plain gloss black

Get them sandblasted first, then if you want to get really fussy fill all the pitting with metal based filler, then get them powdercoated. If they are the same as M62 they are magnesium so don't dip strip them!

Any half decent powder coater should be able to do them, but ring around to find one that has the crinkle powder.

Good luck :)

I'd take them to HPC, see what they can advise.

With those covers you would want a mint job as it's seems to be a surface that likes to deteriorate easily over time with the heat.

I took both covers off the donor M60b40. Both have small defects, not major, but I will wait to pull the ones off my M60b30, and I might do those if they are better. But yeah, I think powdercoating is the go. I have used HPC before and they are good, just not cheap. The blokes up in Henderson, didn't know what a valve cover was, but they are cheap. :rolleyes:

• Like 1

I got mine media blasted and powdercoated. Cost $200 all up. Results were excellent despite serious pitting in the surface of the covers (if you're really fussy/wealthy get the pitting alloy-welded prior to sandblasting).

http://project540.tumblr.com/post/75432221219/valve-cover-recondition

Nice link. Yeah, I am going to do it, I wouldn't have bothered if I wasn't keeping the car, but I definitely am.