Sign in to follow this  
Laydeekrunk

318i Engine Shaking, loss of power, weird engine sound

I have a 318i. For about a week it has been shaking when i start the car, there isnt much power behind the start up either like it used to do before, reversing and driving makes the car shake and the engine almost sounds like its clogged? Its a struggle to even get up to 50ks. Its exactly like learning how to drive manual for the first time and you bunny hop, but the engine sound is like your trying to rev your car on the spot. Had a mechanic come and check it, he changed the spark plugs, oil and oil filter, air filter. He said it would be ok to drive for a few weeks but recommended getting new spark leads. Only thing is its much worse now. not sure what to do in terms of getting another mechanic look at it. Will not drive it in its current state. Any ideas as to what might be causing this? dont want to go back to that same mechanic!! please help

I'll take an uneducated guess,an air leak somewhere? Someone better informed will be along soon.

Sounds like a sh*t mechanic. Get a proper mechanic to plug in a scan tool and find the actuall prob.

Could be afm. Air leak or cam/ crank sensors. Or possibly a coil.

No point throwing parts at it just find the right part first. Probably end up cheaper than the parts the first guy did.

Also what year etc is the car helps alot

a comon issue with the 318i 318i 318ti engines is the PCV fails and no one ever replaces them and they try and fix and replace all sorts of parts around them.

318i 1996 4 door. I wont have this car much longer than a month, just needed it to get around until then. Almost everything in engine bay has been replaced in last 2 yrs. have not touched air con tho, previous owner did some dodgy work rewiring so this car doesnt have aircon. The engine light didnt come on before mechanic "tried" to fix it. Its the last light to go off. Can anyone recommend a good parts place and the general area of which part needs replacing. I have a video pre mechanic not sure how to upload though as the problem now is worse.