Sign in to follow this  
*bM**

Turbo'ing an M3?

Dont spose any one in NZ as done this?

Ive been looking around and theres kits ranging from $3500 US to $9,995 US.

You can pull 420 + bhp with out moding your internals.... im tempted and i also havnt made my mind up on super charged or turbo?

heres a couple of kits i like the look of:

http://www.vividracing.com/catalog/product...roducts_id/7291

http://activeautowerke.com/turbo/obd1s1/main.php

Im also worried as these kits are made for LHD cars, would this make a diffrence for me? i dont wanna spend the cash and get it here to realise i have to modify heaps of stuff.

Cheers Brendon.

your steering may well get in the way being RHD, for the price of those kits, correct me if im wrong, but here in NZ you could may a custom setup for yourslef for a lot cheaper

I have also looked into this. The big problem is that most of the kits are made for the US market, which throws up two problems. Firstly, as you correctly pointed out, they are made for left hand drive, which means it is very unlikely they will fit a RHD car without extensive mods (if at all) Secondly, the US market cars had the

S52 engine, which was essentially a bored and stroked M52 (328i) engine with a single throttle body, not the "proper" Euro spec. S50 engine, so again no go. If you are still keen to do a conversion, be prepared to spend a lot of money, this is not a car you would try to do a budget job on, be prepared to spend $20-$30K on it, I have a friend who turbocharged an E30 318is, and spent in excess of $20 turbocharging it,( what I consider a proper job) and suggest that you would need to do the same, if you want a successful job. Wouldn't go supercharged, easier and cheaper, but power delivery is all at the upper end (for a centrifugal blower) which makes for impressive HP numbers,but delivers very little low-mid range boost, which is really where you need it in one of these cars.

Edited by conrod

Guest Andrew

Conrod - that E30 318i was good - but not that quick! i'm sure its reliable as hell though. Is amazingly well built though.

My turbo project was gonna cost me around $13000 - was aiming for a reliable 300 rwhp .

We first ran the car on 6 pounds of boost, and it was probably making about 190hp, and it felt little quicker than say, a good 325i. After sorting various bits and pieces over the next few months, he cranked it up to 20 pounds- and that made it boogie! I would say 300- 320hp. It has since had an engine rebuild, with a slightly different spec. and although I haven't been in it since, I am told it is better. But as you know, there is no such thing as a GOOD $5000 turbo conversion!!

Meanwhile, here are some mad Turks who do a few turbo conversions, the hp claims are slightly exaggerated ( I would make the E36 M3 at about 800hp on 30 lbs, not 1000) and the installation isn't that nice in my opinion (IMO to all you geeks) but there would be some humour in driving them!

http://www.da-motorsport.com/

Edited by conrod

yea you friend who turbo'ed a 318i did he have to get forged internals, new head gaskets ect? 20k seems a hell of alot to spend, i dont believe that you can do a decent turbo conversion for $5000 ether and thats not what im looking at. Im looking at a $5000 US turbo kit which doesnt inculed install just raw parts. Point taken about the us market engine that never crossed my mind, im looking at euro kits now from england ect....

Wouldn't go supercharged, easier and cheaper, but power delivery is all at the upper end (for a centrifugal blower) which makes for impressive HP numbers,but delivers very little low-mid range boost, which is really where you need it in one of these cars.

I have to disagree with you there conrod, at the moment the m3 as good mid due to the VANOS system but MOST of the power is already in the top end 5000 - 6500 rpm range. So i was thinking a super charger would give a nice incress over the hole power band....?

Yea i understand that alot of money will need to be poured in. Being the type of car it is you can understand that.

Cheers any more info is welcomed :D

Hello again Brendon,The 318 did require lower compression forged pistons, but from memory still used the standard crank and rods etc. I will assume by the type of questions you are asking, that you will be buying a kit or getting someone to make the bits for you. Bear in mind that if you decide to get the parts made locally, that a suitable aftermarket computer such as a Motec (which is the only one that will run a dual vanos that I can think of) will cost between $8 to $10K fitted and tuned, throw in the cost of a custom exhaust manifold, turbo, intercooler, fabrication, pipework, fuel system etc. etc. and $20K will be gone in the blink of an eye, and then some! To clarify what I meant about the power delivery, the mid range torque of an M3 IS quite nice, compared to say a 320. Compared to a turbo car, or large capacity engine, it feels pretty average. It is, after all, only 260ft.lbs for the 3.2 engine, less for the 3.0 litre, which means in a 1500kg car you have to pretty much rev the snot out of it to get it to GO! ( I have driven a few by way) A centrifugal supercharger has a non linear boost delivery curve, which in short means that if it is setup for say 9 pounds boost at 8000 rpm it will deliver only 3 pounds at 4000 rpm, you will hardly notice the difference in the mid range! A turbo however, can be set for 12 pounds at 4000 rpm and trimmed back to 8 pounds at 8000 rpm, this will be a much more powerful, faster and fun car to drive, although the hp figures will be the same, get it? Anyway, if you are seriously interested in doing something like this, don't take the advice of some anonymous punters on a website (meaning me) go to Tech Books, buy a copy of "Maximum Boost" and a copy of "Supercharged" both by Corky Bell, read them both and understand the differences,all of the answers are in these books.Only then should you decide which route to take, this will be the most important $200 you will spend on the project. cheers Conrad

I might have missed something here but what about other superchargers? ie roots or the other kind i can't remember the name of.

maximum boost is good.....highly recommended reading. conrad, sounds like andy n i will be paying you a visit sometime...good luck finding a shell

Conrod - that E30 318i was good - but not that quick! i'm sure its reliable as hell though. Is amazingly well built though.

My turbo project was gonna cost me around $13000 - was aiming for a reliable 300 rwhp .

$13k, thats so sickening.

Thats not worth it for me.

Id rather spend that on say an s13, or get an e36 m3.

What if you spend $10k doing NA mods. That would be badder er.

Guest Andrew

We first ran the car on 6 pounds of boost, and it was probably making about 190hp, and it felt little quicker than say, a good 325i. After sorting various bits and pieces over the next few months, he cranked it up to 20 pounds- and that made it boogie! I would say 300- 320hp. It has since had an engine rebuild, with a slightly different spec. and although I haven't been in it since, I am told it is better. But as you know, there is no such thing as a GOOD $5000 turbo conversion!!

Meanwhile, here are some mad Turks who do a few turbo conversions, the hp claims are slightly exaggerated ( I would make the E36 M3 at about 800hp on 30 lbs, not 1000) and the installation isn't that nice in my opinion (IMO to all you geeks) but there would be some humour in driving them!

http://www.da-motorsport.com/

ahh i would of seen it at 190hp - as it was only just pulling away from 325s.

You can pull 420 + bhp with out moding your internals.... im tempted and i also havnt made my mind up on super charged or turbo?

Im also worried as these kits are made for LHD cars, would this make a diffrence for me? i dont wanna spend the cash and get it here to realise i have to modify heaps of stuff.

Cheers Brendon.

we at Active Autowerke have a turbo manifold for the RHD cars. If you are looking to go turbo we can help you out.

Contact me if you want more info.

Cheers Brendon.

we at Active Autowerke have a turbo manifold for the RHD cars. If you are looking to go turbo we can help you out.

Contact me if you want more info.

The AA guys know what their talking about ... Im personally looking at getting the AA Supercharger unit for mine (RHD E46)

Also check out www.e46psi.com .. more e46 based but some great info there.

I'm pretty sure the exhaust manifold bolt pattern is the same on the M52/S52 engine as the Euro S50 engine, so this sounds like the way to go!

we have the RHD turbo manifolds for the E36's and of course our E46 supercharger kits bolt right up. if you guys have more questions or need to know something specific to your car just hit me up.

:rambo:

email sent :)

Active Autowerke Turbo Manifold - E36 325i RHD 1992 - 1995

CLOSE OUT, FINAL SALE

Active Autowerke developed a turbocharger system for the E36 325i Right Hand Drive model. This was a specific system developed for countries like England, Australia and Japan where the steering wheel is located on our passenger side of the car. A specific turbo manifold was created to elimiante the problem of the sterring shaft running through the exhaust manifold.

Cast as a solid unit with a high nickel content helps to prevent cracks and warp age. This manifold will fit a T3 turbocharger.

This is NOT A USED PART. Manifold is NEW and can be mounted to existing USA model M50 6 cylinder.

MSRP Price: $1,650

CLOSE OUT Price: $750