Sign in to follow this  
speedyg

Has anyone replaced their dashboard?

Thinking of doing this on the E30 as it is cracked all over the place. Can you buy new ones? How long does it take? Also what is the best way to stop it from cracking again?

Thinking of doing this on the E30 as it is cracked all over the place. Can you buy new ones? How long does it take? Also what is the best way to stop it from cracking again?

its not a fun process

its a pretty tough job...more fiddly than anything else. getting it back in is the hardest. repairing them ends up looking like rubbish. apparently brand new ones from BMW have the finish of the newer cars (not cheap though)

Sakdbma has replaced his - > check out his mad auction on :) - > http://www.trademe.co.nz/structure/auction...asp?id=38923294 - > is it coincidence that the only person bidding, has teh same first name and lives in the same area as his girlfriend, and only just signed up ? -> and before you ask ... he doesnt wanna trade for a CRX :thumb:

Edited by E30stz

Don't think it is that difficult a job, just plenty of things to take loose before it will come out. Takes me about 15 mins to remove the old one and about 20-25 mins to replace it.

If I get EXTREMELY bored and there are enough people wanting to know how to do it, I will try to write a post on how to do it but it will be a VERY long post...

William I'd be keen to know if it was generic to the E28

I need to take mine out to get a cage in there properly. When practicing on the E28 you gave me I got it out quite a bit but theres something holding me back in there and I couldn't figure out what it was :s Haven;t had a time to look into it further though - tried about a month ago

Udit, can't remember the exact sequence to removing your dash, last did one in that model at least 10 yrs ago. Age and senility is creeping in now... :blink:

They are pretty much the same though. The tricky bit is to completely detach the wiring loom that they attach to the dash, and they tend to hook up on the aircon/heater unit sometimes and also on a clip that secures it at the windscreen side of the dash in the middle. Also, remove the door rubbers on both sides. This will give you just that little more room to pull it foward. Don't try to remove with the heater controls in place, undo this and leave behind. If you can lower your steering column, this will help a lot.