Sign in to follow this  
Dn540

New Bimmer man

Hi Folks,

I'm Mason from Dunedin. I bleed Ford Blue and have a great love for Mercedes-Benz (anything German really).

However at the start of the year I swapped my MK3 Golf wagon (5spd converted) for a 1998 E39 540i and this is going to be my new daily driver.

Sorting some issues out for a WOF currently, as when I got it it had a bit of panel damage, front EDC shockies are leaking and needs tyres for the M-pars. Just waiting on tyres or hopefully, new wheels!

Engine hasn't made any funny rattles or sounds although since I switched to synthetic oil I have noticed a little bit of chain rattle when cold so may switch back to a thicker mineral oil.

Cheers!

Hi and welcome to the forum.

I should also welcome you to the Bimmer addiction..lol

I'd throw away the EDC shocks and get some standard replacement shocks or if you really want to lower it there are some good deals out there on coilovers.

I'm up for the replacment of my EDC shocks on my 740i and the cost is incredible. I'll be going either Monroes or Bilstiens.

In any case. Happy driving. :D

Welcome to the forums man. Hope the Bimmer serves you well in its line of duty : )

I'm looking at buying your old golf in the weekend hahaha. Any issues you can tell me?

Also do you live up tiari rd and was this missing the front bumper.

Also welcome

I'm looking at buying your old golf in the weekend hahaha. Any issues you can tell me?

Also do you live up tiari rd and was this missing the front bumper.

Also welcome

Small world! No issues when i had it at the start of the year, it sounds like the cat is rattly and could definitely do with removal.

Oil cooler, head gasket, leads, distributor rotor/cap, a couple of important relays, and crank position sensor are just some of the parts that were replaced.

Yep I live up Taieri road, only had the bumper off when it was in the garage getting the engine removed.

Good to see it could potentially be in some caring hands!

• Like 1

My poor engrish should of said did the 540i have the bumper missing off it? Also I'm guessing the 190e is the champagne one with the euro plates? No I havnt been stalking you, just live round the corner off the bottom of Helensburgh rd haha

Haha yea man it had half the bumper. The previous, previous owner drove it through a fence ripping off the bumper, under engine plastics and putting a big dent in the sill and door. Got a bumper and panel beating now just need to replace the plastics.

Yep that's my silver 190 too, don't know what the previous owner did to the paint but it's rough as. I see there's a guy down your road who has two of them. Good taste.

Do you own that Grey E90 with the mesh wheels?

Don't happen to know anyone selling e39 wheels or can rent me some for a wof?

Nah not my e90 but love that car! Looks perfect on them. I know sanch aka mike aka antil33t has a set of spares but don't know if they have tyres

Edited by euroriffic