Sign in to follow this  
Kepes

BBS RS Rep quality

I have searched, but haven't found a definite answer. I Would like to get some new wheels on my E30, and something like these reps http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=739539140 seem well priced, especially with new tyres. Obviously they won't be nearly as good as genuine ones, but they won't break/bend/buckle as easily as some people say they will, will they? I've never bought wheels before so am not very experienced in this matter. Any help appreciated !
Thanks

im after something like this for my e36 in 5x120 let me know if you come across any

Check my listing on TradeMe Lorenzo - in BMW parts for sale under other. Genuine BBS 3 Piece with gold centres.

I'd be doing my research into where they're made and by whom. There are people on here who can show you what happens when low quality wheels are involved in accidents, and it isn't pretty. I'm not going to say that ALL Chinese wheels are rubbish. but I personally wouldn't touch them. But there are bloody good reasons why you pay $1500-2000 for genuine wheels with good tyres.

Conversely, I had a new set of Momo wheels a few years back that were drastically out of true within 6 months of fitting them. Never kerbed, nor hit anything more severe than Auckland metro potholes. I'm now using OEM 17x8 E90 wheels, they've had seven shades kicked outta them including multiple paddock bashing sessions at the in-laws farm & they're still perfect.

At $650 they're cheap enough, but I'd be wondering how good the tyres are, and if they're even a decent brand. There is a set of 16x7 RS's in Wellington on Tardme for cheap, not sure if you can redrill from 5 stud to 4 though. Could be worth looking into, I'm sure someone on here could tell you if it's ok or not.

Check my listing on TradeMe Lorenzo - in BMW parts for sale under other. Genuine BBS 3 Piece with gold centres.

are they 5stud and can you send me a link some how

I'd be doing my research into where they're made and by whom. There are people on here who can show you what happens when low quality wheels are involved in accidents, and it isn't pretty. I'm not going to say that ALL Chinese wheels are rubbish. but I personally wouldn't touch them. But there are bloody good reasons why you pay $1500-2000 for genuine wheels with good tyres.

Conversely, I had a new set of Momo wheels a few years back that were drastically out of true within 6 months of fitting them. Never kerbed, nor hit anything more severe than Auckland metro potholes. I'm now using OEM 17x8 E90 wheels, they've had seven shades kicked outta them including multiple paddock bashing sessions at the in-laws farm & they're still perfect.

At $650 they're cheap enough, but I'd be wondering how good the tyres are, and if they're even a decent brand. There is a set of 16x7 RS's in Wellington on Tardme for cheap, not sure if you can redrill from 5 stud to 4 though. Could be worth looking into, I'm sure someone on here could tell you if it's ok or not.

Thanks for the help! The tyres aren't too bad actually. I remember asking on the previous auction. Hankooks or something decent like that. You're right about the price, and tbh you're also right about not going near them! I guess im getting a bit impatient, and i'm just a bit cheap B). I had the same thoughts about the 5stud ones in Wellington. Heres the link http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car-parts-accessories/wheels-tyres/alloy-wheels/auction-738292317.htm . If anyone knows whether they could be redrilled to 4 stud, let me know as I would consider it! Cheers.

They could only be drilled to suit a 4 stud of the same PCD which unfortunately in this case will be 4x114.

Take a look through Rays posts, I'm pretty sure he took a few photos of the remains of an E46 M3 on knock-off aftermarket wheels.

Patience is the key, I scored my wheels for less than 400 slides including a nearly new pair of Dunlops on the rear

They could only be drilled to suit a 4 stud of the same PCD which unfortunately in this case will be 4x114.

Thought so.

OP, you could go for a 5 stud conversion too. Would open up your options greatly! :ph34r:

Patience is the key, I scored my wheels for less than 400 slides including a nearly new pair of Dunlops on the rear

True! I waited it out for my E30 in the first place and that payed off. A guy in Auckland has a set of 15' basketweaves which he said he'd let go for $250. I told him I was in Wellington, and I would be willing to pay shipping (at my expense/risk). Then he stopped replying! Guess he just couldn't be bothered :unsure:

OP, you could go for a 5 stud conversion too. Would open up your options greatly! :ph34r:

Ehhh, too much effort :ph34r: I think I'll just wait it out

You got the contact details of the guy with the basketweaves?

Have seen genuine wheels bend just as easy as cheap wheels.

You got the contact details of the guy with the basketweaves?

Yeah man I'll PM you when im on a computer. It was a couple of months ago so they may have sold but its worth a try.

They are 5 stud.

Can anyone please tell me how to paste a TradeMe link into this page.

They are 5 stud.

Can anyone please tell me how to paste a TradeMe link into this page.

Right click one the trade me link in the long 'address bar' at the top of the trade me page. It'll look something like "www.trademe.co.nz/browsing" yada yada. After you right click it, select copy, then come back to this thread, right click in a reply box, and select 'paste' ... Hopefully that helps! ;)

Have seen genuine wheels bend just as easy as cheap wheels.

True, but bend rather than shatter. I hit a section of broken seal on the side of a road in the E39. 18" style 65 BBS. Flat spotted both L/H wheels & rooted the rear tyre. Took them in for repair, front mildly flat spotted, the rear was completely drunk (warped). The guy wasn't holding his breath for being able to straighten it (nor was I). To his, & my surprise, it straightened perfectly. His take was that it was quality alloy that was very malleable.

I had the rs reps for my e36 in 5x120! Bought them off mag n Tyre (zenetti) and were a lot lighter then I was expecting, quality seemed pretty good too.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk