Sign in to follow this  
gjm

LHD car registration in NZ

I'm hoping this is a straightforward question...

I've been offered a car I would very much like. It is over 25 years old, is in NZ, and is identical in every way (other than steering wheel position) to the same model which was sold new here.

This car has been here for a while. I don't know how long exactly, or even who imported it. I can find out - there is a paper trail.

Question is... Can I register it for use on the road in NZ? I know there are other similar cars, also in LHD, registered and driven here. The issue I can see is proving ownership, but other than that...?

Anyone know anything about this? NZTA are, of course, entirely happy to point me to their online resources which I've read, but which don't seem to make it particularly clear.

Is it American or European? They seem to be much more inclined to issue permits for American stuff. mind you... you said same as what was sold here, there wasnt much american sold here 25 years ago... hmm

Is it American or European? They seem to be much more inclined to issue permits for American stuff. mind you... you said same as what was sold here, there wasnt much american sold here 25 years ago... hmm

It's a European-manufactured car (I think!)... Shhh... A Porsche 928. So it is at least a little out of the ordinary.

As I said, I know there are LHD models around. I'm just unsure how easy (or difficult/impossible) it would be for someone who didn't personally import it, to get it registered and so on.

Pretty sure the permit is assigned to the car, and not the owner. Does it not have one already?

It USED to be the case that if the car was over 20 years old then it was exempt from the latest regulations, frontal impact, emissions, etc. which also allowed the LHD cars to be registered. The snag was the car had to be over 20 years old from date of first registration (not build date) when it ARRIVED in NZ, so you couldn't bring something in, store it for a while and then register it. I had to wait about a year until my E30 'vert hit 20 years so I could bring it in.

Not sure if this is still the case, but somewhere in the LTNZ site it should say... If it is still the case you would need to find the paperwork for when the car was first registered, and when it arrived here (customs import paperwork) to work out if it was 20 years old at that time, and so can be reg'd.

As it hasn't been registered up until now, it might suggest that there is an issue somewhere, otherwise it would be worth a lot more as a registered car surely?

Exactly...it can`t be hiding here with no permit and no history surely ? I`ll bet it`s ex Japan. If the original importer effed up it should have been offered up for sale as a breaker, and i`ve seen the odd one on Trade me. They don`t just sit around waiting for someone to try and get a permit later do they ?

It's been here a little while. I know some history, just not enough (yet).

Yes - I too think it would be worth more if registered. I'll be treading carefully. Hence questions here, but I'll back them up by speaking to someone who does this sort of thing officially.

I also recall the bit about how a car must be over 20 years old at the time of import, and not at the time of first registration in NZ. This one was built in 1983, so unless it's been here for over 10 years, that shouldn't be a problem.

I`m intrigued about this Graham, as I`m a 928 fan as well. I just won`t go near one in terms of actually buying one. But this car can`t be here, hiding in plain sight and available for sale surely. With no paperwork at all.

I'm assuming a worst case scenario with no paperwork or providence. In which case, I suspect it'll be good for spares or track, but not much more. I'd like to be proved wrong!

However, I've not had much communication with the seller, yet. Obviously I will, long before any sort of deal is struck. It could turn out to be a case of 'I imported it, but was offered a better car [maybe a RHD?] while I was waiting, and never got around to registering it' story. I know that's happened before.

Getting back to basics, let's assume it can be shown to be a private import (say) 4 years ago, and that paperwork is available. Is there any reason anyone can think of why it couldn't be registered here, under those circumstances?

No reason that I can think of, however, there could still be issues with the car that are picked up at compliance. It is a lot more stringent and thorough than your usual WoF and some very odd things can be raised as issues.

Look for any rust at all, even surface rust on components. I have heard of cars being pulled up for surface rust on sway bars! Plus any rust on the bodywork tends to be flagged up as needing to be removed. Be prepared for new brake pads and rotors all round - that is also a favourite for the inspectors, I guess that would be a few $$$s on a Porker?

It might be worth checking if the car has been put in for compliance before (I think they get logged in the system) it could be that it needs work and the importer put it into the too hard basket?

At that age the 928 should be eligible for LHD registration as a "Category B" vehicle. This should mean that it doesn't need a Special Interest permit which is lucky as they only issue 500 of those a year. If possible I would take it into VINZ or VTZ and ask them if it meets the requirements for registration. The length of time it's been in New Zealand shouldn't have an effect on that. The only exception would be if it was imported before April 2010 and DOESN'T meet the new requirements, then you can apply for an exemption and have it tested under the pre 2010 regs.

• Like 1

At that age the 928 should be eligible for LHD registration as a "Category B" vehicle. This should mean that it doesn't need a Special Interest permit which is lucky as they only issue 500 of those a year. If possible I would take it into VINZ or VTZ and ask them if it meets the requirements for registration. The length of time it's been in New Zealand shouldn't have an effect on that. The only exception would be if it was imported before April 2010 and DOESN'T meet the new requirements, then you can apply for an exemption and have it tested under the pre 2010 regs.

Thanks Cheyne.