Sign in to follow this  
tima

Planning project, Need some clarification. M50B25 E30

Hi,

I am planning a project for an E30 Touring running a M50B25 and 5 stud conversion. I want to keep the car in the most stock form as possible without hacking apart electrics etc.

Car: E30 touring alpine white. (Yet to purchase) (I think i got a candidate: http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/bmw/auction-742108332.htm Need some moneys :()

E36 donor car:

rcOC36T.jpg

325I, Auto, 127,xxx kms, Runs very nicely and engine is in good nick.

I will of course need ECU and part of the loom of this car for the E30. Not sure how yet and also want to keep e30 parts functional and relatively integrated.

Not sure if possible but would like to take all the running gear out of this and put it into the E30. But i might need the rear end out of the compact e36's. What ever the case i will be keeping those rims for the e30 Touring.

What i need to know: How much? What i can and cant do from this basic outlay of my plan? How long and what gear will i need? (Mainly on the electrics)

Cheers for any input.

Edited by tima

Its a pretty well documented swap and in my opinion really easy, if you are doing all the work yourself you could do the engine and suspension swap for not much more than a couple of grand, i spent a bit more than that on my latest one due to me buying alot of extras. If you had everything ready to go you could do the swap in a weekend as its all rather straight forward. If you intend to use the suspension from the 325i to do you 5 stud swap the front shocks will catch in the e30 tunnels as they arent big enough so youll need to buy e36 M3 shocks and use the e30 springs and top hats or run coilovers. You're right about the rear youll need a setup from a z3 or compact e36

• Like 1

Its a pretty well documented swap and in my opinion really easy, if you are doing all the work yourself you could do the engine and suspension swap for not much more than a couple of grand, i spent a bit more than that on my latest one due to me buying alot of extras. If you had everything ready to go you could do the swap in a weekend as its all rather straight forward. If you intend to use the suspension from the 325i to do you 5 stud swap the front shocks will catch in the e30 tunnels as they arent big enough so youll need to buy e36 M3 shocks and use the e30 springs and top hats or run coilovers. You're right about the rear youll need a setup from a z3 or compact e36

OK, Cool.

Unsprung should be rather easy, Would like to use as much of this e36 as possible or is it more worth it to keep this car as a daily and get parts?

Still a bit lost on the electrics. Found a few online guides and was also wondering about input here.

Cheers

Well really the only things your going to be able to use from that e36 are the engine and wiring and the front brake hubs. You'll still need to buy an e34 sump setup, get a new exhaust manifold sorted. And for the 5 stud swap you'll still need to buy alot of parts to do it properly: the whole rear setup, m3 lower front arms and front shocks. You might be better to sell that e36 and use the money to buy what you need. M5* engines are getting pretty cheap, and unless you want to go forced induction then the m52 or m54 would be the better setup to go with

Did my swap in 2 days but got held up by getting the exhaust manifolds welded up. As long as you get all the right bits its a bolt in and plug and play with electrics if you make your own adapter using a e36 fuse box plug and m20 engine loom plug so you can plug in the e36 loom at one end then into the e30 fuse box at the other.

Thanks guys, Wiring sounds like the least of my worries now.

Thinking more about my rough plan i wouldn't mind a M5 engine. Getting one with ECU and gearbox wouldn't be hard. I cant afford to fully rebuild it so it maybe a bit hard on that one.

5 stud conversion can wait till later but will be on the to do list.

What you think? Should i keep the 36 as a daily driver and just buy all my parts for the Touring? I would like to stay under $7000+Paint on the whole project.

Cheers

You can do it for half of that easily, you can find m50 or m52 motors for less than 1000, depending where from and kms. The rest is pretty easy to find too, spend another 500 or so replacing seals and gaskets and cooling system bits so its all fresh when you install.

Gearbox and bits also easy and plenty of bolt in options.

If the e36 is a solid runner, I wouldn't bother butchering it just for the m50 in it. Looks to be pretty nice.

You can do it for half of that easily, you can find m50 or m52 motors for less than 1000, depending where from and kms. The rest is pretty easy to find too, spend another 500 or so replacing seals and gaskets and cooling system bits so its all fresh when you install.

Gearbox and bits also easy and plenty of bolt in options.

If the e36 is a solid runner, I wouldn't bother butchering it just for the m50 in it. Looks to be pretty nice.

Yeah its a tank. Needs $500 spent on control arms and bushings + tires then it will be warrantable again.

The $7000 includes the car itself so you think i could get away with it?

Cheers

Edit: Do i want VANOS or Non VANOS? I dont plan on a Turbo.

Around $1200-$1400 for a long block. Pumps etc all separate.

Edited by tima

probably the easiest way is to buy an E34 525i as a donor, you need much more E34 parts than you do E36 parts, and the E34 parts are harder to find in the first place.

Having said that, I have just got some E34 parts in like the sump, dipstick etc, and could part with them, as the engine will be going in an E36 not an E30.

probably the easiest way is to buy an E34 525i as a donor, you need much more E34 parts than you do E36 parts, and the E34 parts are harder to find in the first place.

Having said that, I have just got some E34 parts in like the sump, dipstick etc, and could part with them, as the engine will be going in an E36 not an E30.

Hmm,

Ill let you know but im planning to start with in about 3 months. Easier to hit up Brent at BMWorld for the parts.

I dont have space to deal with 3 cars and parting them out. Would be good if i do.

Cheers

Edited by tima

Not sure its worth buying an e34 for the parts, you're only after the sump, oil pickup and throttle cable. Considered doing an m52 instead?

• Like 1

Not sure its worth buying an e34 for the parts, you're only after the sump, oil pickup and throttle cable. Considered doing an m52 instead?

Could you elaborate on the benefits of a M52?

I really dont want to f*ck around with electrical problems :/

Cheers

Bigger displacement, better engine management, motor weighs less, more torque and power.

It's the exact same as swapping an m50, the only extra is getting around EWS but if you get all the bits from the same car it isn't an issue. Or you can get the DME flashed and EWS removed which is what I did since I couldn't get the EWS box etc.

• Like 2

Bigger displacement, better engine management, motor weighs less, more torque and power.

It's the exact same as swapping an m50, the only extra is getting around EWS but if you get all the bits from the same car it isn't an issue. Or you can get the DME flashed and EWS removed which is what I did since I couldn't get the EWS box etc.

Doesnt sound too hard.

Ill get my orders in to Brent at BMWorld when i got cash and a touring.

Planned to finish like this:

I wonder with a M52 if it will be a fukn rocket?

e30-m3-touring-rear.jpg

Hardly a rocket, but a lot more fun than a m20b20

Turbo in time :)

Then be a rocket.

I got my ECU flashed and removed the EWS and all the other bollocks like traction control, ABS and chipped for the M50 intake for around $250 in the UK, he just sent it back in around 2 weeks and all ready to go. Im putting the M52 into my E30 very soon, almost have all the parts ready to go.

Good luck with yours, even though it's a straight forward job, there's still plenty of little pain in the arse bits to mod, fix or change to get everything working sweet but way less work than fabricating new bits etc like some transplants.

Is that an M3 touring! Holy flip that is arousing

Yes,

Thats what i am planning for.

Looks like a 6 month job. Its going to the metal worker mate of mine and 15k spent on it.

I have decided ill get a S54B32 if i can afford it.

you will be looking at $60k to get it looking like that E30 touring posted,

But an M52 E30 is plenty to put a smile on your face.

you will be looking at $60k to get it looking like that E30 touring posted,

But an M52 E30 is plenty to put a smile on your face.

Hmm,

I had a quote for paint + everything wired plumbed ETC for 15k with that paint. He will make wide body kit ETC.

An s54 itself will run you over 15k to get one plus bits to fit it into an e30.