Sign in to follow this  
Aphexic

Spinning Ignition Cylinder

Hey guys, my 328i E36 has run into an issue with the ignition cylinder, when you put the key in to start it, it spins around freely, after googling around its hard to find real information apart from "fix this before it breaks 'cause then it's a real bitch", but I'm pretty sure it's fully broken.

I'm stranded and can't start the car, has anyone had this problem before and fixed it? Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

I've temporarily managed to jimmy it still with a screw driver (pushed against the side of the barrel so it can't spin) so I can start the car at the moment, this is just a little bandaid though and I don't think it will fix it for very long.

My e39 does this sometimes if i dont put key in totally. Was told its just a security feture to avoid people forcing the lock with a screwdriver

Isnt it ironic that a screwdriver is a temp fix for a feature to stop a screwdriver..

It is a common problem & should be dealt with when it first does it (if you get a second chance). When operating correctly, the barrel is easy to remove - turn to acc & insert a pin into the slot to release the barrel.

Once it is permanently spinning, you cannot select acc position to allow the barrel to release. It is then a pain in the arse to remove.

I have had a few over the years at work now where i have had to drill/chisel the barrel out to be able to insert a new one. Hours as opposed to minutes to do when it is still operating.

Edit: To be clear - it is a faulty barrel & requires replacement. Do it now while it is easy.

Edited by hotwire

Yes do it while you still can! Mine got jammed and couldn't do anything so had to pop the electrical connection off the back of the barrel and turn that with a screw driver haha. There's a good video on YouTube of how to replace the barrel. Just order a new from BMW for about 400 i think

Is there a way to fix the the ignition cylinder? Ie tapping a screw into the first layer to hold it still to stop it from spinning?

So we had a look and figured out we could drill and tap a small countersunk screw to hold the barrel in place, worked perfectly.

Took photos with a potato as we went along:

Drilled a small hole

14398227880_ef3cea0610_c.jpg

Countersunk the hole, this is important to keep it out of the way of the security ring

14398298109_26080bf280_c.jpg

The security ring detatched, we used electrical tape over the connection so the screw couldn't short it out

14398297919_18f5ce4d24_c.jpg

Shows how little of the screw you need sticking through to make contact with the barrel

14604995903_73f069d825_c.jpg

Barrel screwed in place

14581566341_bd21ab8dc4_c.jpg

Now I'm still unsure if this problem came from the little metal block wearing out or if the security tab broke off? But this fixed it perfectly, barrel is tight and there's no movement. Just letting people know this could be a little bandaid to save them from replacing it.

I still think this should be replaced, but this is working fine!