Sign in to follow this  
Etwenty1

valley pan bolt suggestions

I snapped a m6 valley pan bolt on my M60B40, tried to shape the stub and get vice grips on it etc with no luck.

Ground it flat last night and tried to drill and ezi-out it, using a fluted ezi-out, which just bent. It now has a 9/64" hole right through it, slightly off centre.

Am now considering either just leaving it - its not on a corner so the bolts either side might be enough?, or drilling it right out and tapping it for the next size up.

would something like JB Weld or some epoxy work to cement in a smaller bolt? like let it set then give it a 1/4 turn? torque set is only 10Nm

Suggestions?

i would probably drill it and tap a bigger thread.

the valley pan has alot of bolts so would probably survive with one missing but if it leaks you dont want to ever go back there to fix the issue.

Probably would have been better earlier...

sit a nut over the top of it, and MIG weld it on, with a good amount of heat. Leave it to cool and then unscrew - it usually works pretty well as the heat helps loosen it because of the enevn expansion of the metals.

Yeah that sounds good, if I could weld.......too late now.

Drill and tap it to M6 then loktite a stud in there ?

A guy on a UK forum tried putting a bigger size in, and cracked the side out, got it welded and then it never sealed... so I'd be slightly wary of leaving it out entirely.

When you drill a hole in a broken bolt, they're always off centre... I think it's a law of physics or summin. Then you keep drilling, regardless of how badly it's going... because keeping going means you have some chance of it coming out... it's just how it works :lol:

I'd get a 6mm Timesert kit (or find someone with one). It won't make the hole much bigger, but it'll give you some decent threads in there. You may need to "adjust" the hole in the valley pan cover to allow for any offset. I'd probably do the lot... be a bugger if another hole stripped during reassembly!

Self tapping l/h thread screw? Last time I cold chiseled a cross in the top and used a Phillips screw driver to remove it

thanks guys, went with the recoil kit, the holes in the cover made a nice guide for the drill.

post-2170-0-05117000-1404988631_thumb.jp

post-2170-0-18370600-1404988683_thumb.jp

Edited by etwenty1

Have a look at my project. I mig'd 2 of those. Another 2 I had to drill out as best as possible and clean it up. Being aluminium you cant get too aggressive with anything. Doing what you did is probably best. It doesn't take too much pressure, but yeah you don't want to have to go back and re-do it.

Yeah I have been following your project, was hoping I'd be finished before you. The coil is probably one thread too deep but meh. I cleaned all the other holes with a tap and used new bolts. My torque wrench doesn't go down to 10nm but feels fine.