Sign in to follow this  
kingkarl

e34 drivers door not latching

The e34's latest niggly issue is the drivers door wont close shut

The latching hook (connection in the door) has no resistance and will not hold.

Any ideas?

wd40 bath? 3 or 4 screws will get door skin off, hve poke round in it guts

Edited by JoKer

Cheers I'll give that a go on the weekend. It's gonna be a cold week commuting on the moped

if you need a new latch let me know , 2 types

• Like 1

the last bit lifts/slides UP to get card off (feels like its holding in the middle)

Just pulled the thing apart.

Jfn2WxX.jpg?1

8qXuBkz.jpg

Notice the broken mount. I believe this is putting the central locking mechanism out of alignment and causing the issue. The latch mechanism itself is working perfectly - the only time it wont latch is when its fixed in place.

So I need a replacement handle/lock mechanism like this (sorry for crap image):

rUW9m57.jpg?1

Very glad I bought a Bentley service manual a while back. Mate this job much smoother.

If anyone local or otherwise can help please let me know. 0274977188

Brent can probably help, but have a E34 here for bits if he doesnt

This issue is doing my head in. A friend borrowed the car and f**ked the lock in the first place on day one... He tried to fix it but f**ked the door card so left me with multiple issues. I jury rigged a solution to the damage inflicted by friend #1... then lent the car to friend #2 who managed to f**k the repair I had in place.

So at the moment the drivers door is not functional at all and I'm having to climb over the passenger seat. Anyway... onto solution mode

I am anxious to buy a replacement 2nd hand unit for two reasons:

1) the key barrel will be different. From the brief look I had at the part the key barrel does not appear to be removable from the main assembly. Can anyone confirm or deny?

2) even if I can swap the key barrel out, will the car start? Is the immobilzer likely to cause issues?

the lesson here is not to lend your car to 'friends'.... way too many stories of 'friends' borrowing cars only to ruin them.

the lesson here is not to lend your car to 'friends'.... way too many stories of 'friends' borrowing cars only to ruin them.

amen to that.

the situation is complicated when the 'friends' are flatmates.

Ironically flatmate #1 who inflicted the damage was borrowing my car because his radiator was knackered. So he borrows my car... proceeds to ruin the lock/door card... then chances his arm with his leaky radiator. Surprise surprise the car overheated on the other side of the harbor bridge and now the vehicle he paid $5000 for a few months ago is off to the wreckers next week for $500.

aw man thread started off good, at least you found the issue (initially)