Sign in to follow this  
scottharvey

issues with 2.0l e30

I just recently got another e30 with an m20b20. First thing on cold starts it turns over as if it has no gas I have put injector cleaner in it a d it still has same issue once you have started it its fine to keep starting up. It takes up to 5 minutes.

Next thing temp gauge is running at just above half and then will rise to 3/4 and then drop down again eventually it already has no thermostat could that be a cause

If it has no thermostat, then that is unlikey to be causing it to run hot. A thermostat stuck open would cause the engine to run cold. Having no thermostat is essentially the same thing as a stuck open one. I had one which was stuck open, so I can speak from experience.

Not sure what else it could be (I'm pretty new to E30's too!) but I would be concerned if it was getting that hot with no thermostat....

M20s are worth changing the timing belt on them anyways, and a fairly simple job with basic tools, nothing special required. Waterpumps are dirt cheap and need to be done at the same time on this engine, so looks like you are going to do that anyways.

Could be a lot of things though

Blocked radiator

Blocked other hoses

100% water and no coolant

Air in the system

i strongly suggest you do not drive the car, if you absolutely have to, make sure you have the interior heater on full hot and fan full tit to at least shed some of the heat.....

Perhaps bleed the cooling system. There is a bleed screw on the thermostat housing. Lots of write ups on google. Air in the system could be stopping the coolant from circulating causing it to overheat. Otherwise very likely to be the waterpump

OK it has never shot up over 3/4 temp as of yet and I have checked for airlocks through the bleed point and it just flows out no bubbles and its running just coolant there is one hose that has a slight kink in it looks like its been chopped in two and has a metal pipe in between is it suppose to be like that or just straight hose would get a pic but at work currently

M20s are a complete pain in the arse to bleed, with many points in the system that can be airlocked. Whilst there may be coolant coming out of the bleed screw, there may well be air still trapped in the system.

Have you filled the system with the coolant or was it done before you bought the car?

Like Andy says, it could well be one of many problems so not easy to diagnose and fix.

it already had coolant in when i got it but ill sort out that hose first repco doesnt have one listed tho so where else could i go?? BNT maybe?

OK I fixed that hose up but is it suppose to close up like it's sucking when I rev is that air lock or something else I'm stuck

You should put a thermostat back in, or at least a restrictor the size of an open thermostat. I don't know the specifics of the M20 cooling flow path but the pump will be meant to work with a thermostat.

It is possible that the pump may not be totally effective without one and too little restriction in the flow circuit can lead to pump cavitation. This will cause a lack of circulation and ultimately pump damage. The hose sucking in may be a symptom of this situation, or could be caused by a blocked radiator (which might also cause pump cavitation).

this is the hose

the one below it? connects to the t-stat housing and then to the lower radiator?

meant to have a metal part, wouldn't fit behind the fan otherwise.

and yes, needs a thermostat to work properly.

Edited by antil33t