Sign in to follow this  
deeveus

Any car painters out there?

Thinking about painting my old bomb myself. Body appears to be pretty straight but paint is stuffed I.e faded and most places faded to white!

I have a spray machine which is capable of painting a car but just absolutely no clue on how to paint a car. I'm guessing it's not a matter of just picking the colour (hellrot of course) and just spraying it on after masking the car up.. What steps and or procedures do I need to adhere to for preparation?

Thanks for any help in advance. Pictures below to give a rough idea of current paint finish..

post-2864-0-30353900-1408847158_thumb.jp

post-2864-0-22342400-1408847195_thumb.jp

post-2864-0-72967200-1408847209_thumb.jp

Edited by The Diesel Guy

I did some panel beating in the past, and it's all in the prep work, the more time you spend meticulously sanding and priming the better finish you will get with the final product.

I did some panel beating in the past, and it's all in the prep work, the more time you spend meticulously sanding and priming the better finish you will get with the final product.

I'm guessing first off I'd need to fill and small dints with bog, sand the whole thing back, then prime the whole thing and then mask everything up, then paint..

• Like 1

I'm curious about the "spray machine". It's not one of those ones with the electric pump incorporated into the handle that fires out teaspoon sized goblets of paint in random oscillations? Or do you plug it into the air outlet of your vacuum cleaner? lol.

Pm bellicose, he is the painting guru