Sign in to follow this  
NZ BMW

Mechanical Breakdown Warranty

Hi Team,

I'm looking at getting a new car and am after a mechanical warranty. I took a look at the Autosure Extreme Policy. This one looks great as it covers everything, ideally this is what I would like.

I phoned them to see if they deal with the public but they only sell via dealers. However the lady did mention that sometimes the dealer would simply sell the warranty to someone who wants it. I see there are a list of sellers on their website.

Has anyone been through this before and knows a friendly dealer who would sell a warranty? I imagine the margins in this must be excellent for them as they pretty much just take their commission for filling in the paperwork so would be keen to do it.

Thanks!

We sell that warranty at my work and its by far the best one when compared to the other non factory warranty options like Janssen (who are sh*t). I’ve dealt with claims with both of them and Autosure are generally very good and tend to pay out where as Janssen tend to fight having to pay out.

I work for a non BMW brand so your best plan would be to go see our BMW branch Jerry Clayton BMW on the shore and tell them you want an Autosure warranty. They will then need to do a 1h inspection on your car to make sure there are no preexisting faults.

http://www.jcbmw.co.nz/

It’s a pretty painless process and well worth it when you own a euro.

My mother in law got a volvo which included a 1 year autosure warranty. We extended it to three years amd the dealer just charged us what it cost him. Very easy process

my old man bought a car with jansens. absolutely rubbish. stay away

Did you get the insurance? What car are you insuring?

I'm also contemplating getting insurance from either Autosure or AA? Does anyone have experience with AA mechanical breakdown insurance?

I've found that you can purchase Autosure online from Activefinance https://activefinance.co.nz/insurance-warranties/mbi-main-summary/

a little while back the air-conditioning packed up on a E46 330 I owned. Autosure Insurance paid the full $2500 repair bill without batting a eyelid. Impressed by that

Edited by michhod

I would recommend a Provident mechanical insurance policy. I've used them and they've been great

Edited by Driftracewake

Hey guys so with these mechanical warranties being discussed, what are the;

-claim limits

-excess

-and what's it normally cost in terms of coverage for say the span of 2 years etc etc

Provident mechanical insurance sounds intriguing, I might change over.

I ask these questions because I've been seriously looking at changing from autosure..(which I without exploring options unfortunately signed up for with a dealer a while ago)

Thanks in advance :)

Edit: sorry I should have stated my concerns are with claim limits e.g a 10k claim limit and what if the car fails and incurs damages well in excess of 10k

Edited by DSCOFF

I would recommend a Provident mechanical insurance policy. I've used them and they've been great

Yes, would like to get a quote for my X3 if not too much trouble. Thanks!

Edited by jeffbebe

Add me as another who was happy with Autosure, piss easy to deal with. I had it on a 2004 Legacy S/W for 3 years and I think it had saved me around $500 at the end of the term. Not a huge amount, but it was piece of mind.

That's pretty good information. I guess what concerns me is major repairs, autosure and a few others have say that 10k limit.

I'm also looking at the 2012 F10 M5 or a 2012 C63 AMG performance pack plus model so I'd definitely want to cover all the bases with the mechanical insurance..and ensure everything is covered and not things such as (dct gearbox clutches not covered etc etc)

Edit: provident insurance sounds pretty good, anything else out there to seriously consider?

Edited by DSCOFF

Thanks for the input, sounds like Autosure is very good.

Still looking for a car so will see...