Sign in to follow this  
dkonsta1

E39 M62 V8 fan (clutch) removal tool and wrench

Hi guys,

I was wondering if anyone has the special BMW tool required for the fan removal form the engine.

I can buy it from ebay but I was thinking to save the waiting time.

I will pay some dollars not a problem.

no, you need a 32mm wrech, and the thread is REVERSE threaded, so turn it the opposite way to what you usually would to remove the fan

I also had to make a tool to hold the water pump pulley but it was very easy. Just measure the bolt pitch on the water pump bolts and drill a couple of properly spaced holes in a bit of flat bar.

I've always just used 32mm spanner and a hammer. Works fine

32mm open ended spanner, long flat head screw driver and hammer/rubber mallet. Wedge the screw driver between the bolt heads and give the spanner a good shock with your chosen device. As Andy said, left handed thread so, righty loosey lefty tighty

ive never had to lock the waterpump on any of the bmws i have done the fan removal on. Just a decent sharp whack with a hammer has been enough to crack it, using the belt tension to hold the pump.

Just to follow up for other people that might need it, I have made a diy tool. Works great in combination with a standard 32mm spanner. The solution with the long screwdriver and the hammer did not work for me.

If you need the tool please give me a bell...

^^^^ Yep, I have struck the odd one (not just BMW but Transit too) that has not come loose with just the spanner & obligitry hammer/sharp blow.

Most do but some can be a ba##ard. Each time - I think - I must make a tool, then forget about it till the next time...