Sign in to follow this  
sonny5cy

Go-Peds

I have been thinking of getting one of those Goped motorised scooters for short commutes (local train station or dairy). Does anyone own one or used to have one and can give me a bit of review/comment on what they are like? They seem like a lot of fun but could potentially be dangerous and noisy for the neighbours. Also where could you buy them in Auckland?

FYI - they aren't legal for road use (unless registered as a moped), and you aren't allowed to use them on the footpath (same as bikes etc).

To have an assisted "vehicle" and be legal, all you can have is an assisted pedal powered bicycle. The legal limit for assist is 300W, though it's basically impossible for it to be measured accurately

Depends if you care about legal or not - I think if you aren't being silly, you can get away with it, but problems will probably happen if something goes wrong!

I have an electric Bike I commute on most days (with front wheel assist), and am currently building a longtail cargo bike (with crank driven assist). My commute is only 10km each way, but it's very up and down for half (there is 150 to 180 metres of climbing each way). The assist keeps my average speed up. Tapped out is basically about 35 km/h for me on my super heavy bike.

Electric is cool, because it has power regardless of speed and is pretty quiet, where the little petrol motors are noisy and not much go down low. You have to keep getting petrol too - with the electric, I charge it at the end of each trip at home - no having to stop along the way. Costs about 30c (max, if I ran the battery dead flat each trip) a week for the 100 odd kms I do, where my van would be $25 in petrol.

My bike is basically the cycling equivalent of the worlds gheyest modern car - the Prius. They're both electric "hybrids" with CVT transmission (for my input, in the bikes case) :lol:

I picked up one of these on trademe last year. Got it for $350. It gets used during summer on my super long 1.5km trip to work.. :P

8247012800558768.jpg

Its a 1978 Honda Hobbit PA 50. Wasn't running when I got it but after cleaning out the exaust and a new sparkplug it runs good as gold. They still pop up every now and then and I've seen other older Zundapps come up for under $500 that just need some TLC.

P1100209-500x500.JPG

Very cool for the short commute.

Bit hard to see in the pics but both bikes have pedals.

Edited by kulgan

Thanks I have considered using a bike or a moped, they are both quicker, safer and legal. However the most appealing feature of a goped for me is the ability to fold the handle and carry it on to a train or in a car boot. I take the point about the power too, might have to test ride one to see what they are really like.

Kulgan that is a wicked scooter, haha old school is still cool

A moped eliminates the train/car from the equation though. And you look like less of a mong.