Sign in to follow this  
Etwenty1

E32 735i power steering

Just bought a real straight '87 735i - brakes needed bleeding after PO had put in storage. Brakes now good but during bleeding fluid was being expelled from the PS cap. All cleaned up but still seems to be sweating PS fluid from the cap. Is this normal. I have begun researching e32's but hoped someone would be familiar.

Assuming it has the old hydraulic system? Maybe someone has used ATF instead of Pentosin

The level should only be to the bottom of the gauze filter inside the resevoir after pumping the brake pedal 20 times

yeah pretty common Pentosin hasnt been used, i dont know if your regular garages even carry it???? its pretty expencive stuff, i think Penrite was about $60 or so for a liter bottle :o

$32 per L from local dealer here when i bought it 3-4 yrs ago.

Pentosin is only used with cars that have the LAD, for the 735 the LAD was an option and wasn't included by default. It should say on the cap it it's ATF or Pentosin. I'd be willing to bet yours is just ordinary ATF.

Still doesn't answer why it's pushing fluid out of the cap. Perhaps the seal has rotted away?