Sign in to follow this  
*bM**

Performance Air Filters

Hey this weekend just gone i installed a K&N performance panel filter. K&N reakon you will get a 7-8hp gain... i dont think so but none the less the power increase was noticeble. I now have more mid-range power, no change in intake sound. Fuel

economy seems to be the same.

What filters do you boys recomend? I like the look of the TMS carbon intake with POD filter and bigger AFM.... anyone using anything like this?

Cheers Brendon

I use K&N panel. Does the job well, but I wouldn't say 7-8hp gain. maybe 3hp?

I use K&N panel as well. Fuel saving is around 3-5% (i.e. 15-20km extra per tank) average. Can't feel any extra power in particular but it's more willing to rev close to red-line than factory filter (but that was due changing anyway)

Take it to Robin at Torque Performance and dyno it.

1-2% increase max, I would expect. Tell us the result. I would like to try it sometime on the beast. Haven't dyno'd it after the cats came out yet.

K&N flat panel

Didn't notice a difference in performance although the exhaust note sounded louder which wasn't what I was after

k&n flat, ant remember what it was like before hand as i got it bout 2 weeks after ive had the 5, and ive had it 2 years now, think it made a very slight improvement

full Pro 1 c.a.i.

o for awesome.

intake sound pwns all

i have a generic pod, with the factory intake bit jammed in the end of it. (that bit that comes from behind the headlight).

I reckon definately more power. Though jack all, maybe 1hp? Sounds way better. Maybe slightly worse when sitting in traffic on a hot day, but you can't cain it then anyway.

Far better than stock.

IMO id rather have the louder pod than K&N pannel.

K&N Panel.

I read an article (either Fast Fours or Total BMW), and the gain in air flow from these filters is nothing like what K&N claim.....maybe 0.5% gain.

I seem to recall that your average BMW Panel filter (genuine) actually flows quite well, in some cases its properties are actually better than some after market filters.

The filteration on some of the aftermarket filters isnt as good (bigger particles can pass through the filter) as the genuine (this isnt the case with the K&N), which could lead to premature engine wear as well.

My preference for the K&N is completely $$$$ related, spend the money once, and with the mileage my cars do, you really dont have to touch the air filter again, just clean the bugs out every couple of years......

Guest Andrew

somone actually flow tested these all - in relation to the stock e36 filter -

found K&N worse, stock OK, some random foam filter best.