Sign in to follow this  
samjarvis1987@gmail.com

E46 aribag light again (11 - ignition circuit ZK10 -> battery unpl

Hey guys,

I've checked the forums for any existing post concerning my problem but couldn't see anything at all, so sorry if this is covered anywhere and feel free to link me to it!

My airbag light came on again a few weeks ago and I'm due for a wof by the end of the month. I was driving to castlepoint with some mates and I swear I just went down the curb/drive of the liquor land in Masterton and the airbag light came on.

With an INPA scan I got the following code today and I can't clear it:

post-16999-0-11267500-1411364968.jpg

This is not the first time I've had my airbag light come on. The first time I had it when I changed over my steering wheel, but putting the old steering wheel back on and a reset cleared the code. I got the light again 1 year later and this time I got the same code as in the picture above (along with some other codes - faulty rear left sensor) but I had the part replaced and a reset at BMW fixed it. Now I have it again 6 months later except this time it won't clear.

I've googled the code but it seems to be the most vague code of the lot!! Apart from that the car works fine, no problems with starting etc. just need this light removed for WOF :(

Have my own INPA cable on it's way and already have the adaptor for OBDII 16 to 20.

Any help would be most appreciated.

Regards,

Based in Wellys.

Probably passenger seat ocupancy sensor. Mine would only come on when someone was in the seat so replaced sensor pad and good as gold. Get it scanned properly to see if that is it or Buy one of those resistor fitted plugs off trademe to see if that fixs it to get you a wof if you don't have time to fit a new pad. Are about $250 from miland

If you buy the resistor things, make sure to get one thats done properly that sets the seat as occupied rather than the other way around. So at least you still get the bag working.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Hey guys, really appreciate the replies.

So you think it's a problem with the occupancy sensor in the passenger seat? I thought I would of been given a clearer code fault to come to that conclusion?

Is there a way to figure out if this is the case?

Reading up I get this statement though "When they break the sensor will either give a short circuit (no resistance) or an open circuit (infinite resistance)." whereas my reading says "too large" although maybe as you said it could do with a proper scan.

I still have the original fabric seats that came with the car (I replaced them with leather ones) - could I replace the sensor and see if this fixes it?

ZK 10 error is the battery (BST) release device on the battery positive lead it is a pirotecnic which disconnects power in an accident. The igniter plug could just be dirty or a poor connection . If in doubt get it checked professionally

Edited by B.M.W Ltd

Yeah, that's what I originally thought when I first had the aribag light come on and read the code - I did a brief check at the time and then tightened it all back up, and it seemed to do the trick.

Through searching the net it looks as if the BST has activated then the car wouldn't start at all, am I right?

I've got a fair idea with what I'm working with, so will investigate further this weekend. Plus found a decent youtube video explaining the ins and outs.

Is there any way to damage the BST?

When I was removing my sub over the weekend (it's power connects through the positive battery terminal) I accidentally dropped my spanner on the positive terminal and the centre metal bit (it screws down to hold my battery in place) and the spanner started sparking, and then went red hot within seconds until I flicked it off ~ not my finest moment lol.

Thanks again.

Thanks again.

My OBD diagnostic cable arrived yesterday and I've managed to install INPA on a spare work laptop running Windows7, and it looks like it's installed and working all good.

Tested it with my car and the cable today and managed to pull the same code (had a help from another forum member to pull the old code) so looks like I've got the green light to fix the problem this weekend.

Let's hope this weather holds out!!

Update:

Took apart the right side of my boot any all the cables looked fine and the connectors.

Found online, a good way to test is the BST has blown is you should be able to push the cable into the BST end, so I tried this and it didn't budge (well maybe just a bit)

Gave it a re-check with inpa and tried clearing the code, success!!

My BST must be a little loose or something so I'm good for now :)

Thanks for your input EuroSurgeon