Sign in to follow this  
DTMM3

Hey there.....

In 1978 as a nine year old i was fortunate enough to travel to Germany with my now departed Grandma.We spent a year there,learning the language,going to school and doing lots of traveling.It was on one of these adventures unbeknown to myself,that we happened to end up at a car factory.Bavarian Motor Works none other.She took delivery of a brand new Pale Yellow(green cloth interior) E12.That whole experience left quite an impression on me.Of course the car is long gone but i still have the original German plates.

After her passing a few years back my desire to own my own Bmw grew.An E30 M3 popped up on Trademe and so i went to see it.I instantly fell in love.The kind people at Botany Motor Works carried out an inspection for me....yes it had a few problems but nothing really major.I sat on it.....should i buy it???Then the owner called me to say i could have it for $21500.Even at that time it was a great deal.Once again i thought about it....a few days too long and it got snapped up by an Austrailian Enthusiast.Im still kicking myself to this day :(

After some searching for another classic i read an ad once again on trade me for an E28 535i.The description was average.The photos were average too.But upon seeing it i just about wet my pants.It was in amazing condition and had been pampered to death.A barn find if ever there was one......in Nz that is.So for the cool sum of $5K it was in my garage.A car man at heart i couldnt but help personalise it a little.post-51874-0-77928600-1411596235_thumb.j.

The E28 was such an enjoyable drive but i really missed having a manual box.It was too good to convert and as such was advertised again.A new home was very quickly found....in fact the new owner paid my asking price sight unseen,flew up from Hastings and drove home.He says he often just stands in the garage at night and just stares at it!!!

Having missed the E30 M3 i started the search again.Well 2 1/2 years of worldwide appreciation now made owning one beyond my reach.....for now.On a trip down to Chch i met a fella in Wellington and very quickly checked out his E36 M3.Seemed like a decent bloke,car was garaged,full service history with stamped service book,new rotors,pad,shocks,bushes,shock mounts,black nappa interior,NZ New......took it for a very quick drive(had a ferry to catch)and once again fell in love!!!

After a few weeks of negotiation i was on a plane back to Welly to have a closer look.To be honest it only took 5 mins and the deal was done.So next up was 670km drive back to Auckland!!!What a hoot this car aws to drive...i found myself laughing out loud at how well it just went about business.It just gobbled up the desert rd and pretty much anything that came its way.A couple of VERY close calls with the Constabulary,a few Bp coffees and one tank of feul and i was home.What an introduction to M3 ownership.post-51874-0-91416100-1411597955_thumb.j

Well thats me for now and no doubt more to come in the future.Hampton Downs???

• Like 3

great story. Welcome!

best intro ever.

that e28 oh god. so nice.

and the e36 looks very tidy. bring along to the meet next weeks' saturday

All these e36 m3s seem to be popping up everywhere! Looks like a good example.

Very nice e28 too.

Welcome

Thanks for the welcome....look forward to meeting some of you soon at the next meet.

Hi again...yes its Nz new.I believe it was built in Nov 94 and the mileage is now at 179000kms....I've already clocked up 2500kms.No doubt enhancements will be made but will try not to go overboard....yeah right!!!

Ah yes, i think this was the twin of my car (yet i strangely never saw it around in Wellington). Looked real good in the listing. Keen to see more pictures.

Welcome to M3 ownership :)

Welcome & great cars so far. That E28 looked great

On the E12 thing - I probably have the close sister to it. This one an 08/78 build, & was Tourist Delivery to the first owner (we are the second) as was hers, except this one still virtually as good as it came out of the factory, & have the original "Tourist" plates from it too

Thanks Atlantis kiwi I will definitely post some more photos over the coming days.Cheers KwS...yep it was used infrequently as the old owner had purchased a 335i,so the M3 was a bit of a garage queen,but no longer I can assure you.I find any excuse to go and get the milk now .Nice work on your vanos thread by the way,excellent write up.Mine has a rattle for maybe 2 seconds on start up but that's about it.And cheers Hotwire...my late grandma was incredibly organised with her paperwork and loved her E12 dearly,so I'll try and dig up some more info about it.

Always great to read a good story from an enthusiast.

Excellent write up thanks.

Thanks Atlantis kiwi I will definitely post some more photos over the coming days.Cheers KwS...yep it was used infrequently as the old owner had purchased a 335i,so the M3 was a bit of a garage queen,but no longer I can assure you.I find any excuse to go and get the milk now .Nice work on your vanos thread by the way,excellent write up.Mine has a rattle for maybe 2 seconds on start up but that's about it.And cheers Hotwire...my late grandma was incredibly organised with her paperwork and loved her E12 dearly,so I'll try and dig up some more info about it.

Ha I have all the original paperwork /documentation for this car too

As promised a few more photos.....just loving this car.Recently went through the receipts supplied and its been very well taken care of.Just getting used to other euro drivers giving me the thumbs up on the road.Might pop in to the play day at Hampton this Sat and see what its all about......

post-51874-0-77829700-1412131926_thumb.j

post-51874-0-19496500-1412132049_thumb.j

post-51874-0-47398500-1412132079_thumb.j

post-51874-0-09332200-1412132176_thumb.j

post-51874-0-29992700-1412132269_thumb.j

post-51874-0-18408500-1412132297_thumb.j

Apologies for no show today.....defo for next time.Hope you all had a great day