Sign in to follow this  
chadders23

E36 328i

Wanted to buy a e36 328i, prefer coupe, leather, manual but i realise theres not too many out there so im open to anything, auto wouldnt worry me too much! And South Island would be easier but id be prepared to put it on a truck for the right car.

Thanks

Edited by chadders23

Nice car Aaron but would be wanting something bit closer to home for that money, also be wanting something bit newer with the factory kits.

Theres a couple on trademe that look alright, just thought id try this forum to see if theres anything else out there before diving into something.

Yeah seen that one, looks tidy for the kms just think the price is slightly high along with putting it on a truck to get it down my way. Made the guy a offer but havnt heard back.

jeez, you think 180,000km is too high for a 20 year old E36? Good luck.

• Like 1

Haha thats easy to say coming from the man with a m3 with 207k on the clock. I wouldnt touch it.

• Like 1

I would rather a car with genuine 180-200ks with proper maintenance rather than a fresh import with unknown history at 100ks with no record of any cooling system service or whatever.

• Like 1

Haha thats easy to say coming from the man with a m3 with 207k on the clock. I wouldnt touch it.

Then you're missing out. I feel for you, really.

kms are kms full stop. Its not just the engine that gets worn but everything, interior, suspension, gearbox... everything.

Edited by chadders23
  • Like 1

And thats why a lot of educated owners prefer a high KM car that has receipts for those parts being replaced, rather than an unknown "low KM" import.

KM isnt everything. Condition > KM.

All im saying is regardless of being import or nz new id rather buy a car with lower kms. As everyone else would.

kms are kms full stop. Its not just the engine that gets worn but everything, interior, suspension, gearbox... everything.

True, but remembering it's owned by someone that appears to care about the car I wouldn't be surprised if the shocks, CABs and balljoints have been attended to. Rear subframe bushings aren't that expensive to sort out, just time consuming and fiddly.

Already has LSD, ZF box and a tasty set of Hamanns plus new brakes and it's NZ new. All it needs is a pair of Vaders, a remus backbox & some M3 headers & midsection and it'll be the perfect non M E36.

If the seller will let it go for $5750 it'd be a steal. You'll spend far more than that on a converted auto with a shite service history by the time you get it to a similar standard as this one. Just because auto 318s on 19s can be had for $2500 doesn't mean a good 328i is worth the same.

Even high km M3s go for over 10k these days. Don't be scared by the odometer if it has a good history. As above, I'm more frightened by low km imports than high km cars with reliable histories

Dont bother Matt, "everyone" would rather buy low KM cars.

Matt yourre right, that 328i is bloody tidy and if it was for sale in my location it would currently be sitting in my garage. Add $1000 on top of the price for freight and it dont seem so cheap especially thinking of resale in a couple of years when its got 220 + kms.

The market talks and its for sale in the biggest market of NZ (Auckland) and it still hasnt sold so chances are for the money hes asking people can get better cars for the price.. or it would of sold already.

Edited by chadders23

I've driven Invercargill to Auckland on not quite 2 tanks of gas. Todays prices roughly $250. One way grabaseat from Chch to Akl $99. $300 on the Bluebridge ticket makes for about $650 to get it south. Plus there's no better way to get to know your new whip than 700 miles of open road.

Do it. You know it sounds like a good idea :ph34r:

Add a plane ticket from Invers to chch and its knocking on $1000. Would be a good trip no doubt but cant see it happening!

The market talks and its for sale in the biggest market of NZ (Auckland) and it still hasnt sold so chances are for the money hes asking people can get better cars for the price.. or it would of sold already.

The majority of people wanting an E36 these days want a cheap runabout with some BMW cred, so obviously a well maintained, highly specced car listed at a higher price than the usual cheap shitters wont appeal to them. Good E36s are bit of a niche item now, you have to want one specifically otherwise you'd get the "newer, lower km, better" E46 (even though the E36 imo is a better car).

Yeah well after looking for a few weeks im thinking i might go for a e46, agree e36 better car , theres something about them, but at the end of the day the e46 would be a better car than most others out there, Theres a nz new 2 owner e46 328i down here with 150k and full service history asking 7k test drove it yesterday and its in mint cond.. bit grandpa looking maroon with std wheels but its do the job. Also anything i buy ill be putting a towbar on so that adds more $$$ would be a bonus to find one already with one.