Sign in to follow this  
LsBeema

any views on importing an M3 e46 from Japan

Hi . Anyone has any input on importing an Mz.

post-46617-0-44483900-1415176623.jpg

Pretty sure you will find it cannot be complied here. Best you check first:-

Thanks.any known reasons.?

Emissions standard requirement would be the main one. Check on the LTSA website

There are some late model E46 M3s that do just about meet the required emissions regulations. If you are looking at Japanese versions it may get a bit more complicated due to their different regulations and classifications for emissions (quite a few people are getting caught out on these at the moment).

I'm not sure you can get a Certificate of Compliance for a Japanese car, I think it's more an EU thing, and that is what gives all the emissions details that you need.

It might pay to look closer at UK ones as these can definitely have a CoC provided.

Aaaaannnnddd cue all the comments about rust...

How cheap are they there?

Edit; I meant in Japan. (UK prices are easy to see)

Edited by Nick G

In the UK? A quick browse of Piston Heads has prices from GBP6.5k for a 2003 Manual Coupe done 69,000 miles. A couple of 'verts for less if you're that way inclined. It's a private sale so you could probably haggle them down a few hundy from there...

Not sure how that compares with Japanese prices, exchange rates, etc.

There is an option code number for EU4 emissions compliance, can't remember what it is off the top of my head, should show up on the build sheet.

Software numbers 7837778 for 6 speed and 7837792 for SMG both EU4 compliant - or you could flash the car with LEV US version software.

Will need to be a MSS54HP DME to work. Easily done.

Will need to be a MSS54HP DME to work. Easily done.

Only if you want to pay for the car to be independently evaluated against emissions controls, not even sure there is anywhere in NZ that can do that for you??

The entry certifier can only go off the manufacturer's information for the vehicle, so if you did re-flash the ECU even though it would comply in theory they would need evidence that it now complied with the higher standard.

Well, that's what they are SUPPOSED to do anyway, but from some of the vehicles that are coming in at the moment, let's just say some are a little bit "loose" in their interpretations of the requirements!

Thanks guys.will definitely look more into it.

E46 M3's pre-Mar 2005 are Euro III. As such, under normal circumstances you won't get one into NZ. However, if you go to the Special Interest Vehicles category it is possible to bring one in if you do your research. Euro IV did not exist as a standard until Jan 2005 but it can be shown that 2004-05 model in most cases meets Euro IV figures except for one gas which goes slightly over. I have written a successful justification with all the details necessary to make an application, but you need the approval from LTS before you purchase - just in case you get refused. I can provide a redacted copy to anyone who is seriously interested. They can be a bit messy underneath but as many parts are aluminium they clean up really well. I'm happy to take pics of mine to show you how good they come up.