Sign in to follow this  
Arma

E39 - oil in the trunk, wtf?

Took some crappy pics. Couldn't take the spare out to see yet, as I'll have to move my subs to do that. But here are some pics. First shows the oil on the right (driver) side rear part of the spare wheel well. Second shows some cracks on the left side of the well under the spare wheel, which I've never seen before:

Question time. How the hell does oil get in there, and what oil? Transmission?

Could the crack have been caused by the crash? (I don't see how, especially if the front bumper shocks and chassis rail absorbs the damage)

Is this common and/or potentially dangerous?

Can it just be welded lol?

Kind of confused by both the oil and the crack in the well.

15568409818_6f68411724_b.jpg

15751954341_a0180b3c09_b.jpg

The oil is probably just a spill, i keep spare oil in the boot and it has been known to spill!! The cracking looks like it is just the sound deadening cracking, nothing to worry about.

The oil is probably just a spill, i keep spare oil in the boot and it has been known to spill!! The cracking looks like it is just the sound deadening cracking, nothing to worry about.

I did have a bottle of 5w30 in the trunk, didn't think it had leaked though. I'll double check. Thought maybe the oil might be trans oil being flown in through the cracks magically while the car is moving. Imaginative, nothing's impossible.

You sure its oil and not dirty/rain water?

Yea definitely oil. Some of it looked new as well (closer to the rear end of the car).

cracks in the rubberized paint , nothing to worry about.

probably spilt oil .

When looking under the car, there's a slight upwards indentation where the crack is. Looks like the bend is what caused the crack. The area of the floor where the crack is is also slightly raised (hard to tell from pics), so something underneath is pushing it up due to bending perhaps. Doesn't look major but interested to know how the hell it got there. Yeah dunno about the oil, can't find evidence of a spill on the trunk mat. Hope the pb's spilled something during repair :D

Edited by Arma

maybe someone tried to jack the car up from there , or backed up over a pole etc

• Like 1

Maybe i should cut the well and fit m5 exhausts :)

Maybe i should cut the well and fit m5 exhausts :)

Totally!! ;)

• Like 1