Sign in to follow this  
timewarrior

Oil filter query

I already bought a filter for a E36 M50B25 but it's different, a bit wider and has metal ends. Does anyone know what filter I SHOULD be running?

The correct BMW # is 11 42 17 30389 for a standard filter

Edited by B.M.W Ltd

The correct BMW # is 11 42 17 30389 for a standard filter

Thanks for that, I just tried but had to stop because the cap wouldn't fit. So I think that's not the correct filter. Is anyone able to help with what the filter in the photo is?

And does anyone have any ideas for what I can do with the factory filter that now has just a couple of smears of oil on it? Doesn't come with the O-rings or washers

Filter is about 2cm proud. Filter holder had that metal adaptor in the bottom, the steel seems to match that of the top cap

post-18015-14161086753359.jpg

Could it be one from an M42? I vaguely have some recollection of someone using one of those in a similar situation (please look into it first and dont take my word for any anything more than a vague point in a direction that may or may not be helpful).

Chuck the old filter in the bin. Still less oil in the ground than what drips of a mitsi sump in a week

• Like 1

Chuck the old filter in the bin. Still less oil in the ground than what drips of a mitsi sump in a week

I suspect he means the new filter which was incorrect. I guess see if anyone on here needs a filter for their car. Kinda useless without the orings though.

Yea the m42 ones are similar but not as tall so could be the go. Try measure what hight you need it to be and ask to measure one at repco.