Sign in to follow this  
325_driver

Starting problems, and computer question

Hey.

Im not too good on the Car knowledge stuff, so once again going to have to bare with me

1 My Car mechanic friend recommended that it could just be the ignition timing or some thing along the lines like that. Cause aparantly that can cause starting problems. I have to do is turn over some thing ? lol

you guys have any idea what hes talking about ?

2 whats the diffference between 325i ? and 325e ?

3rd and last .... im confused.... thanks to dad.. now im lost

3 My bmw is injected, ( i just had a talk to dad about some thing so im just starting freash and would like some one to clear some stuff up ). So injected cars normally use computer for the injection rates. Dad didnt seem to think that the bmw had a computer chip .... cause it had a fuel pump ......

so yeah im lost now, what does the computer in my car controll, and what does the fuel pump controll .... im confused as crap now thanks to dad

oh yeah

and are fuel pumps closed units.... theres a kit u can get to fix em .. instead of buying new ones ? is there

thanks for baring with me guys ... i never took auto motive or ne thing lol, and quite new with bmw's.

My Car mechanic friend recommended that it could just be the ignition timing or some thing along the lines like that. Cause aparantly that can cause starting problems. I have to do is turn over some thing ? lol

you guys have any idea what hes talking about ?

Any number of things could cause bad starting, i.e. your car could have a cold start injector that is not functioning properly, spark plugs could be shot, HT leads could be faulty etc... you will need to have it properly diagnosed by somebody that knows the e30 bmw.

whats the diffference between 325i ? and 325e

The 325i motor is more of a performance motor than the 325e. 325i motor is 2492cc and 325e motor is 2693cc. Don't think there would be many 325e cars in NZ, if any... M28 525e has the same motor as 325e.

3rd and last .... im confused.... thanks to dad.. now im lost

Dad is confused... :wacko: should stick to ironing... :lol:

your car has a computer which controls the ignition and the fuel injection, and, if it is a motronic unit, will control the timing as well. All cars have a fuel pump whether they are carburettored or injected.

and are fuel pumps closed units.... theres a kit u can get to fix em .. instead of buying new ones ?

the fuel pumps are sealed units and cannot normally be overhauled. We used to overhaul them in SA but you need special gear to do it and I don't think there is enough demand here for someone to set up shop to do it.. maybe there is??

Exactly what he said, although as your car is a 325i it is definatley motronic.

Just randomly on the 325e, i saw an LHD 325es the other day. I was trying to figure out why someone would go to the trouble of bringing an eta over, not too mention whether it was on the road legally.

Exactly what he said, although as your car is a 325i it is definatley motronic.

Just randomly on the 325e, i saw an LHD 325es the other day. I was trying to figure out why someone would go to the trouble of bringing an eta over, not too mention whether it was on the road legally.

Yeah, I saw a left hand drive E30 320i the other day

although as your car is a 325i it is definatley motronic

I owned a very early 325 in SA that was non-motronic, used the Bosch system that was common in the 323's.