Sign in to follow this  
puspie

Long time lurker - first time poster

I finally pulled the trigger and bought my first BMW, a 2003 530i Touring. After test driving a few e39 saloons here in Dunedin, I bought one sight unseen on Trademe. I flew up to Christchurch and drove down on Friday. I have to say it's been many years since I've been able to say, "I love this car", but I really do.

I have a couple of questions:

1) Where do you buy parts? The only thing wrong with this car is the tailgate and rear glass struts are a bit tired and droop if you don't pull them up all the way. Should I just order the parts from my local Super Cheap Auto or is there a go-to online store for BMW parts?

2) How do you search this site? Every search I've done ends up with no results, including "e39" and "touring".

Looking forward to a long and enjoyable time here.

Gary

post-52030-0-56394100-1417936967_thumb.j

• Like 1

Welcome, that's a good looking touring on the Schnitzer wheels. Good buy. In regards to parts try Paul at Milland.co.nz can get pretty much anything oem and is based in Dunedin too so if in stock is usually on your door step by the end of the day! Top bloke!

Will have to keep and eye out for ya

• Like 1

Welcome! that is a very nice car indeed.

Although I'm not common with E39's, I order all of my E30 parts online. I haven't tried looking for parts locally, online is just so easy and convenient. Some people have been stung by GST when the parts arrive, so be aware of that. Usually only with a really big order will this happen.
The sites I have used and do recommend are:
pelicanparts.com
ecstuning.com (this one is very popular with a lot of the members!)
schmiedmann.com
bmaparts.com

In terms of searching, this may not be the correct way but what I do is click on 'forums' at the top/header(?) and then once I'm there i search for a key word. That way it searches the threads for the key words, rather than searching the 'news' (aka homepage, I believe) for those words. I hope that makes sense!!

Can also recommend Paul at Milland.co.nz
have had quotes from him before which were very reasonable.

Thanks for the parts tips. I'll definitely check them out.

Ah, yep, search works fine as you say kepes. That goes in the "duh" category after I saw what I was doing. Cheers.

Gary

If the struts are getting up there in price to replace there's a guy that re gasses them that works out of otago tyres on hillside road. Got him to do my old e36 tourings ones for $70 a pair I think which was about a third of brand new ones and worked well.

Congrads, looks great, will look even better if you bring her down abit aswell :)

• Like 1

Even just ebay.co.uk for gas struts. Picked up a pair for the e36 touring for $80 delivered.

Thanks so much for the info. I've been going to the shock shop on hillside for a few years now. I didn't even think about re-gassing. I've check them out tomorrow.

+1 for Pelican. Gives you the option of genuine parts for nearly everything, unlike other suppliers where it's aftermarket or nothing. Bit of a pain waiting for things to arrive from 'Murica but fine if you're not in a hurry. Does pay to keep import tariffs in mind, often it is cheaper to use a local supplier.

I have the same issue with my touring re the hatch struts - it's a ceiling liner out job so will pay to have the new parts ready and waiting to go straight back in.

Good to see another M54 touring! Welcome aboard :)

• Like 1